miles01110
Apr 25, 08:51 AM
Yes. I'm sure that consolidated.db just appeared randomly and it's all a huge media conspiracy.
vincenz
Apr 7, 01:28 PM
Oh the things you can do with enough money....
vand0576
Aug 11, 09:47 AM
I agree except I think they will put Conroe in the iMac.
It's funny, cause right after I read what I had posted, I thought, oh damnit, i forgot about Conroe, and edited what I had posted. (all these damn codenames)
It's funny, cause right after I read what I had posted, I thought, oh damnit, i forgot about Conroe, and edited what I had posted. (all these damn codenames)

dba7dba
Apr 26, 03:15 PM
They can activate it in the store for you and do a personal setup if you want. setup your email etc..
You do not need a computer to own the phone. (updates going forward i believe require a computer but over the air updates are on the horizon)
My iPad i haven't yet synced with my computer as an example. walked out of the store smart cover on and my email already setup.
what about future updates? what if you can't go to a local apple store? i can but what about others who don't have one nearby? something apple should think about.
You do not need a computer to own the phone. (updates going forward i believe require a computer but over the air updates are on the horizon)
My iPad i haven't yet synced with my computer as an example. walked out of the store smart cover on and my email already setup.
what about future updates? what if you can't go to a local apple store? i can but what about others who don't have one nearby? something apple should think about.
ElGringo
Aug 7, 04:01 PM
You know, I bought a dual core 2.0 G5 PowerMac a bit back for the ability to expand as needed. Since then I have added a second hard drive and NOT ONE PCIe card. Why? Because NO ONE out there makes a PCIe USB expansion card that is compatible with Deep Sleep Mode.
Maybe the new Mac Pro's will usher in some better options in this area. I don't want hubs and the subsequent extra wall warts that go with it. I want more USB prots, not more wall warts.
How long has PCIe been around in the PowerMac's and now Mac Pro's and there still isn't a solution for this????
Anyway, a bit of a sidetrack, but the new Mac Pro's do look sweet!!
Maybe the new Mac Pro's will usher in some better options in this area. I don't want hubs and the subsequent extra wall warts that go with it. I want more USB prots, not more wall warts.
How long has PCIe been around in the PowerMac's and now Mac Pro's and there still isn't a solution for this????
Anyway, a bit of a sidetrack, but the new Mac Pro's do look sweet!!
twoodcc
Jul 29, 08:40 PM
well 2 months after i buy a new Razr, i don't doubt that this phone will be released :(
Piggie
Apr 25, 09:08 AM
I never understand these things.
It's like asking a burger "did you steal anything?"
The answer will either be silence or it will be no.
Even if Apple were using and collecting tracking locations to build up databases of customer movements, they are not going to shout "YES WE ARE TRACKING PEOPLE"
It's just a silly question to ask, what do you think they will say?
If Apple want to be seen to be squeaky they have a simple answer, put a setting in the iDevices options to turn off location tracking/storage.
Simple.
It's like asking a burger "did you steal anything?"
The answer will either be silence or it will be no.
Even if Apple were using and collecting tracking locations to build up databases of customer movements, they are not going to shout "YES WE ARE TRACKING PEOPLE"
It's just a silly question to ask, what do you think they will say?
If Apple want to be seen to be squeaky they have a simple answer, put a setting in the iDevices options to turn off location tracking/storage.
Simple.
dukebound85
Apr 10, 12:52 PM
In regards to calculators and OSX spotlight
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculator_input_methods
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations
With the immediate execution mode of operation each binary operation is executed as soon as the next operator is pressed, therefore the order of operations in a mathematical expression is not taken into account. Scientific calculators have buttons for brackets and these calculators can take order of operation in to account
Different calculators follow different orders of operations. Most non-scientific calculators without a stack work left to right without any priority given to different operators
while more sophisticated calculators will use a more standard priority
Who said that this an equation? What is the variable that is unknown?
2 is still winning!
Well it is an equation as it is the same as as saying x=48/2(9+3)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculator_input_methods
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations
With the immediate execution mode of operation each binary operation is executed as soon as the next operator is pressed, therefore the order of operations in a mathematical expression is not taken into account. Scientific calculators have buttons for brackets and these calculators can take order of operation in to account
Different calculators follow different orders of operations. Most non-scientific calculators without a stack work left to right without any priority given to different operators
while more sophisticated calculators will use a more standard priority
Who said that this an equation? What is the variable that is unknown?
2 is still winning!
Well it is an equation as it is the same as as saying x=48/2(9+3)
NAG
Apr 25, 09:51 AM
Scary, and seems to be US only.
And remarkably inaccurate when I looked myself up. It has a bit of correct information on my parents. I'm actually surprised at how wrong they were since I have a fairly large internet footprint (of course, these guys probably don't have Google's database since they're just skimming).
And remarkably inaccurate when I looked myself up. It has a bit of correct information on my parents. I'm actually surprised at how wrong they were since I have a fairly large internet footprint (of course, these guys probably don't have Google's database since they're just skimming).
navguy
Jan 6, 06:10 PM
after a week of experimenting ...
no rattle
good bluetooth connection
landscape position is delicate, but holding fine - no movement on bumps (i've tested center position on back and shifted toward bottom in landscape; both work well)
GPS lock is interesting ... 1. definitely takes mount GPS 20-30 seconds from cold start; 2. fast lock is no doubt iPhone assisted GPS initially; 3. there is a moment 30 seconds from cold start when it switches over to mount GPS once lock is achieved (a noticable lag moment - but gotta be watching close)
while i don't have complete facts, i do think the satnavs use the mount most of the time, except from cold start when GPS lock is a bit slower then phone's assisted GPS
speaker works fine - although i'd like to be able to change the inital volume (too loud) w/in the free app
no use of AUX
one add'l thing i've found is that phone boots the mount bluetooth for ear piece - no multi connect option as far as i can tell (iPhone 'feature'?)
otherwise, enjoying the integrated features of the mount so far ...
no rattle
good bluetooth connection
landscape position is delicate, but holding fine - no movement on bumps (i've tested center position on back and shifted toward bottom in landscape; both work well)
GPS lock is interesting ... 1. definitely takes mount GPS 20-30 seconds from cold start; 2. fast lock is no doubt iPhone assisted GPS initially; 3. there is a moment 30 seconds from cold start when it switches over to mount GPS once lock is achieved (a noticable lag moment - but gotta be watching close)
while i don't have complete facts, i do think the satnavs use the mount most of the time, except from cold start when GPS lock is a bit slower then phone's assisted GPS
speaker works fine - although i'd like to be able to change the inital volume (too loud) w/in the free app
no use of AUX
one add'l thing i've found is that phone boots the mount bluetooth for ear piece - no multi connect option as far as i can tell (iPhone 'feature'?)
otherwise, enjoying the integrated features of the mount so far ...
Multimedia
Jul 23, 11:24 PM
If the new macbook pros are only different in the chips, will there be a way to upgrade to core 2 duo if you have a previous macbook pros?No. Processors Are Soldered In MacBooks and MacBook Pros So No Upgrades Are Possible.
The way you do the upgrade is by selling your current model and buying the next one. It's called rolling over your Mac for the next one. Some of us here have done it numerous times. It's not hard to get a good price for your used Mac. By doing this at the beginning of every update, it only cost you a few hundred dollars to move up each time.
The way you do the upgrade is by selling your current model and buying the next one. It's called rolling over your Mac for the next one. Some of us here have done it numerous times. It's not hard to get a good price for your used Mac. By doing this at the beginning of every update, it only cost you a few hundred dollars to move up each time.

doubleusn
Mar 28, 09:56 AM
I'm in that boat. although I'm most likely not willing to 'jump ship'. :) would just be disappointed at a few more months of an 'old phone'.
They also will start having 3GS users come off of AppleCare contracts.
Nobody will buy a new iPhone if their's breaks after AC is up ...knowing that maybe in the Fall we will see an iPhone5.
Again, leaves to much of an 'open window' for defections based on frustration, etc.
...and as pointed out already by others... I agree, iPhone4 is already a dated design. delaying will just erode Apple's lead in the ever growing mobile hardware market.
Everyday another competitors comes along... it is no longer 2007... their lead is not what it use to be.
They also will start having 3GS users come off of AppleCare contracts.
Nobody will buy a new iPhone if their's breaks after AC is up ...knowing that maybe in the Fall we will see an iPhone5.
Again, leaves to much of an 'open window' for defections based on frustration, etc.
...and as pointed out already by others... I agree, iPhone4 is already a dated design. delaying will just erode Apple's lead in the ever growing mobile hardware market.
Everyday another competitors comes along... it is no longer 2007... their lead is not what it use to be.
MikeTheC
Nov 25, 09:19 PM
They sold out to MS because the idiots at Palm couldn't find their butt with a flashlight and both hands. Seriously in 2001 the CEO of Palm stood infront of a crowd at CES and stated our users don't want color, sound etc. It was the beginning of the end because by the time they figured out that yes. Not only do users want color and sound they also want the ability to multitask. Something that POS (Notice that Palm OS and Peice of **** share the same acronym.) STILL to this day doesn't really do. Well it sort of does it in a craptacular manner. My point is Palm doomed them selves because they had management who didn't have a clue or simply didn't have the resources to really revamp the OS from the ground up. I'm willing to bet there is legacy code in POS that dates back to v1. Because POS never had its OS X its Windows 2000. It never had its rewrite. All Palm has been doing is slapping on a new addition to the house and calling it NEW and improved!
It isn't. It sucks and the Pocket PC or Windows Mobile (ick I hate that name.) kicks the living snot out of POS right now in pretty much every way imaginable. Heck Palm is so lost that they are trying to pull an Apple. they purchased some *nix company in China that has experience with mobile versions of *nix and right now is trying to migrate POS over to a *nix flavor of OS.
Unfortunately unlike Apple its too little, too late.
Palm went to Windows because they didn't want to stay stuck in the mobile equivalent of DOS.
This is one of those times where, if MacRumors.com had a Karma Points system (and if I, in turn, had some Karma points) I would Karma-bump the heck outta this post. It's so true, and it's so absolutely dead-on in it's critical analysis of the situation that there's little, if anything, to be added to it.
Apple went to "something else", starting with the Copeland project, because they realized even way back then in the B.S. (that is, Before Steve -- hey, lookie, another awesome acronym!) that Mac OS Classic was a technological cul-de-sac. It was exactly as SilliconAddict has described PalmOS -- er, I mean POS. (You know, I really, really, really have to remember that one. God, I'm still laughing over it as I write this.)
Even Microsoft went to "something else", although unlike Apple they chose to go with their own in-house-developed successor, since DOS 8bit, Win8, Win16, and Win9x code was essentially an obsolete OS technology.
So here we have Palm, arguably one of the greatest innovators (though not really a pioneer, as the kudos and credit for that goes to Apple's Newton development group) of PDAs ever, going down the same hole into the same quagmire that plagued the likes of Commodore, Sony's BetaMax, etc. You'd think with all the MBAs and other college-educated people they've hired over the years that this would be abundantly obvious *and* fundamentally core to their business operational mindset. However, it's quite clear that it isn't.
Thus go the way of all who do not study history and learn from it.
It isn't. It sucks and the Pocket PC or Windows Mobile (ick I hate that name.) kicks the living snot out of POS right now in pretty much every way imaginable. Heck Palm is so lost that they are trying to pull an Apple. they purchased some *nix company in China that has experience with mobile versions of *nix and right now is trying to migrate POS over to a *nix flavor of OS.
Unfortunately unlike Apple its too little, too late.
Palm went to Windows because they didn't want to stay stuck in the mobile equivalent of DOS.
This is one of those times where, if MacRumors.com had a Karma Points system (and if I, in turn, had some Karma points) I would Karma-bump the heck outta this post. It's so true, and it's so absolutely dead-on in it's critical analysis of the situation that there's little, if anything, to be added to it.
Apple went to "something else", starting with the Copeland project, because they realized even way back then in the B.S. (that is, Before Steve -- hey, lookie, another awesome acronym!) that Mac OS Classic was a technological cul-de-sac. It was exactly as SilliconAddict has described PalmOS -- er, I mean POS. (You know, I really, really, really have to remember that one. God, I'm still laughing over it as I write this.)
Even Microsoft went to "something else", although unlike Apple they chose to go with their own in-house-developed successor, since DOS 8bit, Win8, Win16, and Win9x code was essentially an obsolete OS technology.
So here we have Palm, arguably one of the greatest innovators (though not really a pioneer, as the kudos and credit for that goes to Apple's Newton development group) of PDAs ever, going down the same hole into the same quagmire that plagued the likes of Commodore, Sony's BetaMax, etc. You'd think with all the MBAs and other college-educated people they've hired over the years that this would be abundantly obvious *and* fundamentally core to their business operational mindset. However, it's quite clear that it isn't.
Thus go the way of all who do not study history and learn from it.
strider42
Apr 18, 03:51 PM
They have patents but they HAVE to pursue infringers or they can lose the rights to the patents. That's why you see so many patent lawsuits. Unfortunately, that's just how the system works (in very basic terms).
You're thinking of trademark law. Patents are awarded for a specific period of time. You can't lose them just because you don't defend them. You can sue at any time.
Its only trademarks that you have to protect in order to keep them.
You see so many patent lawsuits because there's money in it and to stifle competition. There is no other reason.
You're thinking of trademark law. Patents are awarded for a specific period of time. You can't lose them just because you don't defend them. You can sue at any time.
Its only trademarks that you have to protect in order to keep them.
You see so many patent lawsuits because there's money in it and to stifle competition. There is no other reason.
Jvhowube
Aug 11, 09:56 PM
my little brother has some crappy paper-thin sharp laptop that was given to him. like ten gigs, no cd drive, it gets the job done. i might use that until the release of Merom. its funny cause everyone has already bought their laptops for school. so oblivious, so sad. "good things come to those who wait."
tripjammer
Apr 18, 04:29 PM
That is what they get...Samsung is going down! Apple already has other secret suppliers on tap.
Samsung you had it good...good no more...
Samsung you had it good...good no more...
AidenShaw
Mar 29, 09:01 PM
I simply disregard comments that have to do with religion basically.
Silence is acquiescence, very well stated by Pastor Martin Niem�ller:
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak out for me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came
I don't disregard comments that try to push a particular view on spirituality, gender identity/expression, or other personal and civil rights issues. Sometimes the comments are appropriate, but other times they are not. In my opinion if they're not, I'll say so.
Silence is acquiescence, very well stated by Pastor Martin Niem�ller:
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak out for me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came
I don't disregard comments that try to push a particular view on spirituality, gender identity/expression, or other personal and civil rights issues. Sometimes the comments are appropriate, but other times they are not. In my opinion if they're not, I'll say so.
Duke&tank
Mar 27, 01:21 AM
Most of the iPhone's sales come from outside the United States, where GSM is the standard. Apple can't afford to lag behind other companies in those international markets so they will most likely not slip on shipping the iPhone 5 to much later than the previous models' date.
That is a Very good point i never thought of that.
That is a Very good point i never thought of that.
MattDell
Sep 15, 07:06 PM
Of course MBPs are being updated... I BOUGHT ONE TODAY! :rolleyes:
-Matt
-Matt
*LTD*
Mar 30, 09:39 PM
So have we got a changelog yet?
iliketyla
Mar 29, 02:44 PM
Yes, didnt you know?
Every country outside the US lives in poverty, where families must raise 17 children to send them out to work, and must fight to the death over food.
Maybe Japan was a stretch, but the part about China is absolutely not an overstatement.
Or perhaps the entire debacle at Foxconn has fallen on deaf ears?
;)
Every country outside the US lives in poverty, where families must raise 17 children to send them out to work, and must fight to the death over food.
Maybe Japan was a stretch, but the part about China is absolutely not an overstatement.
Or perhaps the entire debacle at Foxconn has fallen on deaf ears?
;)
ChazUK
Apr 20, 01:29 AM
I'd love to see a three tier release. 3gs at the budget end, iPhone 4 in the midrange and the 5 at the top end.
Looking forward to whatever enhancements Apple bring with it.
Looking forward to whatever enhancements Apple bring with it.
gorgeousninja
Apr 20, 09:01 AM
Now I will celebrate a change of brand while Jobs and company hunts for answers. :)
If buying a different brand of phone means you wont feel the need to come on these boards telling everyone how bad Apple are, then you definitely wont be the only one celebrating....
Al together now.. Hip Hip Hip .... Hooray!!
If buying a different brand of phone means you wont feel the need to come on these boards telling everyone how bad Apple are, then you definitely wont be the only one celebrating....
Al together now.. Hip Hip Hip .... Hooray!!
HoldFastHope
Nov 3, 08:50 PM
Everyone with an iphone is paying at least $840 a year for the privilege of using it, and if all you wanted was cell phone service you could pay half that. So if you think it's too expensive, don't buy it; but I don't know why so many feel they have to act so outraged over the cost.
Thread over, tstreete wins.
Thread over, tstreete wins.