gus6464
Mar 22, 05:13 PM
I would really love for the Playbook or the Touchpad to succeed over the fragmented Android POS ecosystem. The HTC tablet that they announced today won't even come with Honeycomb.
RIM and HP have the right idea when it comes to their tablets. Geekyness does not make you popular (Android).
RIM and HP have the right idea when it comes to their tablets. Geekyness does not make you popular (Android).
h'biki
Apr 11, 01:51 AM
I would think this revision will support 3D video editing, right?
I sure hope so. If it doesn't, then they're not really skating to where the puck will be.
Lightworks is already there. Avid is getting there quick.
I sure hope so. If it doesn't, then they're not really skating to where the puck will be.
Lightworks is already there. Avid is getting there quick.
toddybody
Apr 6, 11:15 AM
BTW: Im so glad to have some MAC rumors to talk about...the 24/7 iOS fest gets tiresome :rolleyes:
chatin
Aug 16, 11:58 PM
This poor cache design will kill off the G5's fast in rendering intensive workspaces.
The G5 has only 1MB of cache and it's per core not per cpu. If one core needs to cache 3.5MB of data it's possible on the Mac Pro becauce the CPU cache is fully unified.
I just ran Cinebench 9.5 on my Mac Pro and got 4 Cpu's Showing and a healthy 3.5 Ratio. (That means the CPU's are working together very well, thanks to the Intel Smart Cache.)
:) :p
The G5 has only 1MB of cache and it's per core not per cpu. If one core needs to cache 3.5MB of data it's possible on the Mac Pro becauce the CPU cache is fully unified.
I just ran Cinebench 9.5 on my Mac Pro and got 4 Cpu's Showing and a healthy 3.5 Ratio. (That means the CPU's are working together very well, thanks to the Intel Smart Cache.)
:) :p

dernhelm
Aug 7, 04:11 PM
Maybe not in a client type computer but it exists in Windows Server 2003 and it is called Volume Shadow Copy.
Of curse it doesn't look as nice !
You're the closest so far, except that it is by turns both not as sophisticated as a Snapshot, and in some sense more sophisticated. A snapshot allows you to "capture" the current state of a disk at a particular point in time - further new updates do not impact the snapshot. This assures a consistent backup as of a given point in time. This is not what Apple is doing here, as they are simply storing the old version of the file on the backup system.
However, in Time Machine, "snapshots" are not deliberate actions, they occur everytime something is changed. It would be tedious/near impossible to restore your entire disk back to a certain known good point using Time Machine - but that's a SysAdmin thing. It is almost simplicity itself to restore a given file or set of files back to what they were 30 minutes ago. And that is something that "everyman" needs a lot. If your choices are your current corrupt version, or the version as of the last snapshot, that is often a choice between bad and worse.
Of curse it doesn't look as nice !
You're the closest so far, except that it is by turns both not as sophisticated as a Snapshot, and in some sense more sophisticated. A snapshot allows you to "capture" the current state of a disk at a particular point in time - further new updates do not impact the snapshot. This assures a consistent backup as of a given point in time. This is not what Apple is doing here, as they are simply storing the old version of the file on the backup system.
However, in Time Machine, "snapshots" are not deliberate actions, they occur everytime something is changed. It would be tedious/near impossible to restore your entire disk back to a certain known good point using Time Machine - but that's a SysAdmin thing. It is almost simplicity itself to restore a given file or set of files back to what they were 30 minutes ago. And that is something that "everyman" needs a lot. If your choices are your current corrupt version, or the version as of the last snapshot, that is often a choice between bad and worse.
iJohnHenry
Apr 27, 06:06 PM
I have a friend was name that way. Instead of putting JR in he puts II in.
Not kosher.
He is still Jr., no matter how much he protests.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_name_a_Jr_vs_II_vs_III
Not kosher.
He is still Jr., no matter how much he protests.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_name_a_Jr_vs_II_vs_III
bigpics
Apr 11, 02:13 PM
If it is going to be a 4g/LTE iPhone then this works for me. I have no complaints with my iPhone 4 so waiting another 4-6 months is fine with me.I don't follow components closely, but I've read the current LTE chipset is none too svelte and power-hungry to boot.
If a delay's about LTE (and giving more time for tower rollout), it could be because Apple's sourcing next gen LTE radio (if one is near), keeping the device "thinner, faster, longer-running," consistent with current evolution and marketing points.
And for the record, neither Sprint's WiMax, T-mob's HSPA+ nor either Verizon's or ATT's LTE 1 come close to meeting the evolving, but existing spec (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G)for "4G"
If a delay's about LTE (and giving more time for tower rollout), it could be because Apple's sourcing next gen LTE radio (if one is near), keeping the device "thinner, faster, longer-running," consistent with current evolution and marketing points.
And for the record, neither Sprint's WiMax, T-mob's HSPA+ nor either Verizon's or ATT's LTE 1 come close to meeting the evolving, but existing spec (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G)for "4G"
ECUpirate44
Mar 25, 11:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)
Yes, ipad3 will run os x lion! MBA will have a touch screen!!
God no to both of those!
Yes, ipad3 will run os x lion! MBA will have a touch screen!!
God no to both of those!
yg17
Apr 27, 08:26 AM
He shouldn't have given in to the racists. But it's out there.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42779923/ns/politics-white_house/
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/3050/08c2e64746f7486daac794e.png
Now will Donald Trump and all of these other racists please shut the hell up?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42779923/ns/politics-white_house/
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/3050/08c2e64746f7486daac794e.png
Now will Donald Trump and all of these other racists please shut the hell up?
shamino
Jul 24, 05:40 PM
Next Spring??? Can you please point me to the source of that information.
I don't know. Almost-two-years seems like enough time :p
("coming in the spring" would mean spring-2007, since we're in summer 2006 right now. "next spring" means the one after that - spring-2008.)
I don't know. Almost-two-years seems like enough time :p
("coming in the spring" would mean spring-2007, since we're in summer 2006 right now. "next spring" means the one after that - spring-2008.)
ten-oak-druid
Apr 25, 02:18 PM
Because Apple is not tracking you. Apple does not get any of that data, they will never see or touch it. It is data that is stored locally on your phone out of reach from everyone except you. "Apple tracks you" would mean that the phone is sending the data 'home', but it doesn't. APPLE HAS NO IDEA WHERE THE F YOU ARE OR WERE (and they probably couldn't care less)
Prove it.
Prove it.
ninjadex
Mar 31, 02:44 PM
What so many fail to realize is iOS was made for the iPad from the get-go. It's been mentioned many times that what became the iPad was in development longer than the original iPhone.
This goes to show that iOS conceptualization is light years ahead of Android. It's so obvious Google is scrambling, and seems to be making this stuff as they go along, without any sense of a master design guiding the way.
This goes to show that iOS conceptualization is light years ahead of Android. It's so obvious Google is scrambling, and seems to be making this stuff as they go along, without any sense of a master design guiding the way.
littleman23408
Dec 14, 06:26 AM
Lookin good SevenInchScrew:cool:
Carlson-online
Jul 20, 11:47 AM
I remember hearing about how it is possible to make multiple cores act like one (Idon't remember where I heard this). Anyways, whether 8 cores acting separately or together like 1 big processor has an advantage depends on the program you use. If the program is multi-threaded, then the cores acting separately might have the advantage while single threaded apps will have an advantage if the cores are acting like one. However, many apps today won't see that much improvement either way (like a simple calculator, or solitare and word processing).
yes, its known as reverse hyper threading. AMD are working on it
http://www.dvhardware.net/article10901.html
yes, its known as reverse hyper threading. AMD are working on it
http://www.dvhardware.net/article10901.html
severe
Jun 15, 06:23 PM
I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but it doesn't match my experience at BB this morning...
Likewise. The GF and I stopped by our local BB just after opening this morning as well. As much as I don't particularly like BB, our location made it as painless a procedure as it could be. One iPhone each. In and out in a few minutes, with a 10am appointment made for pickup on the 24th. And a promise of a call for confirmation before then.
BTW, the GF used a gift certificate for the preorder and will use the remainder when she picks up the phone. Absolute zero out-of-pocket for her. I'm glad I tagged along today, having heard of the disaster elsewhere.
Good luck to those of you still looking to preorder.
Likewise. The GF and I stopped by our local BB just after opening this morning as well. As much as I don't particularly like BB, our location made it as painless a procedure as it could be. One iPhone each. In and out in a few minutes, with a 10am appointment made for pickup on the 24th. And a promise of a call for confirmation before then.
BTW, the GF used a gift certificate for the preorder and will use the remainder when she picks up the phone. Absolute zero out-of-pocket for her. I'm glad I tagged along today, having heard of the disaster elsewhere.
Good luck to those of you still looking to preorder.
mr.steevo
Apr 25, 04:30 PM
Case in point: My GF has a few crazy stalkers who could find out from this data base where she actually spends most of her time. They are mentally challenged creeps who have no way to do this through hacking into ATT but they could steal her stuff at her public appearances. They actually showed up there.
Then she needs to speak with the police.
Then she needs to speak with the police.
Luph67
Mar 31, 11:02 PM
I'd take an iPhone over an android any day, but let's get real--the apple community is having a field day with this because of how much the competition has stressed "open" over "closed" in the past. Really the whole argument is so bogged down in brand loyalty that it's not even worth having anymore.
jaxstate
Aug 11, 10:50 AM
I wonder if it's going to be a toy or a real phone. I'm hoping it's more of a smartphone than a ngage phone. (i know they couldn't make a phone that bad if they tried, just tryint to get a point out there.)
magbarn
Apr 10, 03:23 AM
The backlit keyboard thing kinda makes me laugh. Every macbook Ive ever owned has not had the backlit keyboard. I even bought a aluminum unibody and still got screwed out of a backlit keyboard. Finally I got a 2010 mac pro and got the backlit keyboard. what did i do? enjoy it for 2 days then turn it off to save battery life. the keyboard light is always off now and the brightness is set to minimum. so much for that.
Sorry not all of us are blessed with 'night vision' I dunno about your advanced genetics, but using my MBA on minimum setting will give me a headache in about 3 minutes.
Sorry not all of us are blessed with 'night vision' I dunno about your advanced genetics, but using my MBA on minimum setting will give me a headache in about 3 minutes.
NJRonbo
Jun 15, 10:37 AM
My RS store would not let me leave information.
They are waiting till 1pm EST.
Meanwhile, people are twittering their stores
are issuing pin numbers to them.
What gives?
Man of man, was Radio Shack the worst outfit
to do this through. Don't totally blame them for
being handed this crap.
They are waiting till 1pm EST.
Meanwhile, people are twittering their stores
are issuing pin numbers to them.
What gives?
Man of man, was Radio Shack the worst outfit
to do this through. Don't totally blame them for
being handed this crap.
THX1139
Aug 17, 03:57 PM
Some people do things called graphic design and video editing for a living. Sometimes, when you want to make money and put food on the table, you want top of the line equipment.:rolleyes:
Calm down. The OP was directing his question towards gamers. I agree with him, why salivate over a Macpro and whine for games when it's clear that the Macpro isn't intended for that kind of user. If I were a games enthusiast, I'd build my own custom PC that would be optimized for gaming performance. Apple is ignoring this segment of the market. For those of us who need to get real work done, the Macpro is a great machine. It will play games, but don't try hauling to a Lan party. You'll probably get laughed at.
Do you see now?
Calm down. The OP was directing his question towards gamers. I agree with him, why salivate over a Macpro and whine for games when it's clear that the Macpro isn't intended for that kind of user. If I were a games enthusiast, I'd build my own custom PC that would be optimized for gaming performance. Apple is ignoring this segment of the market. For those of us who need to get real work done, the Macpro is a great machine. It will play games, but don't try hauling to a Lan party. You'll probably get laughed at.
Do you see now?
benthewraith
Nov 28, 07:48 PM
If we're already paying a royalty on blank CD-Rs because they say we are using Limewire, then aren't those of who aren't using Limewire essentially paying to use a service which we are not using?
By my logic, if we are already compensating the music industry through our purchases, we should then be entitled to use the services I just found out from these posts that we are paying for!
They'd have us go back to CD-format if they could, and impose whatever restrictions necessary to control whatever we do.
By my logic, if we are already compensating the music industry through our purchases, we should then be entitled to use the services I just found out from these posts that we are paying for!
They'd have us go back to CD-format if they could, and impose whatever restrictions necessary to control whatever we do.
Steviejobz
Apr 8, 05:22 AM
This story fails the smell test. A reader told MacRumors? You mean a disgruntled fanboy who has gone iPad-less for two weeks has turned conspiracy theorist?
All I can say is that there was an inventory tracker on one of these threads and each time it said "in store only" I was able to walk into that store and buy one.
The second time I bought a unit there were guys carrying boxes of iPads that had just arrived and sold them freely until gone.
All I can say is that there was an inventory tracker on one of these threads and each time it said "in store only" I was able to walk into that store and buy one.
The second time I bought a unit there were guys carrying boxes of iPads that had just arrived and sold them freely until gone.
Thunderbird
Aug 7, 04:52 PM
January is not Spring. Do not expect a release in January; Expect a full-featured preview, with an announcement of a final shipping-date.
But Steve always likes to try to be ahead of his own schedules ....underpromising and overdelivering. :)
But Steve always likes to try to be ahead of his own schedules ....underpromising and overdelivering. :)