mikes63737
Aug 4, 01:31 PM
iSight? (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/06/20030623160609.shtml)
I think that the iSight was designed more for communication between business travelers and their families. That's what all their ads showed. :confused:
I think that the iSight was designed more for communication between business travelers and their families. That's what all their ads showed. :confused:
el-John-o
Mar 28, 10:19 AM
Let's not forget that pre-iPhone smart phones were updated every couple of years (hardware wise, maybe some aesthetic changes if anything.) We'd see a refresh at CES, then a couple years after CES it would suddenly be on the shelves, probably with the same CPU, maybe a bit more RAM and the next version of Palm OS / Windows Mobile (Remember those? LOL).
Finally... bad move Apple? Really? You mean like, Apple should have decided to go back in time and prevent the earthquake and tsunami or something? Everyone is debating whether or not this is a "smart move" by Apple. If this is true, they don't have a choice! Supply constraints are supply constraints, there aren't other chip manufacturers without seriously sacrificing the iPhone's performance and reliability, and therefore it's reputation. For those of you unaware, this rumor, if true, is the result of a massive natural disaster that recently occurred in Japan, where a number of iPhone components come from! Yes they are assembled in China, but as the article stated, Chinese manufacturers aren't getting their parts from Japan like they usually do around this time.
It's crazy, people are freaking out talking about abandoning iPhones altogether because heaven forbid anyone wait a couple more months for something! I mean, it's what you want, but instead of waiting you'll "settle" for something else? Am I the only one who sees that flaw in logic? Maybe I'm biased because I didn't plan on being an iPhone 5 customer (no upgrade for another year and a half, so I'll be an iPhone 6 buyer), but I still think this whole conversation is silly. Apple is releasing much faster than anyone else had in the past, maybe not now, but had in the past, and Japan is a little inconvenienced right now, just in case you haven't watched the news.
Also, on Apple's hardware being outdated when it hit the shelves. It always had. I had a 1GHz phone when Apple released there 600 and something MHz iPhone (first gen). It finally hit near 1GHz (but not quite) with the iPhone 4, when there were ALREADY 1GHz phones out for a while (Droid Incredible, etc.) The software trumps the hardware, it's efficient enough it "feels" fast, that's why people buy iPhones, not because the hardware numbers are higher than on the competition.
Finally... bad move Apple? Really? You mean like, Apple should have decided to go back in time and prevent the earthquake and tsunami or something? Everyone is debating whether or not this is a "smart move" by Apple. If this is true, they don't have a choice! Supply constraints are supply constraints, there aren't other chip manufacturers without seriously sacrificing the iPhone's performance and reliability, and therefore it's reputation. For those of you unaware, this rumor, if true, is the result of a massive natural disaster that recently occurred in Japan, where a number of iPhone components come from! Yes they are assembled in China, but as the article stated, Chinese manufacturers aren't getting their parts from Japan like they usually do around this time.
It's crazy, people are freaking out talking about abandoning iPhones altogether because heaven forbid anyone wait a couple more months for something! I mean, it's what you want, but instead of waiting you'll "settle" for something else? Am I the only one who sees that flaw in logic? Maybe I'm biased because I didn't plan on being an iPhone 5 customer (no upgrade for another year and a half, so I'll be an iPhone 6 buyer), but I still think this whole conversation is silly. Apple is releasing much faster than anyone else had in the past, maybe not now, but had in the past, and Japan is a little inconvenienced right now, just in case you haven't watched the news.
Also, on Apple's hardware being outdated when it hit the shelves. It always had. I had a 1GHz phone when Apple released there 600 and something MHz iPhone (first gen). It finally hit near 1GHz (but not quite) with the iPhone 4, when there were ALREADY 1GHz phones out for a while (Droid Incredible, etc.) The software trumps the hardware, it's efficient enough it "feels" fast, that's why people buy iPhones, not because the hardware numbers are higher than on the competition.
vigilant
Mar 30, 07:54 PM
That looks amazing. I was hoping we might see a little more of the iPad's influence exert itself in places like the calendar.
I violated my own rule and installed Lion mid-project so I haven't had a lot of opportunity to mess with it all that much at this point, so I don't know if I like it or not. iCal tries to look like the iPad version but it feels like it falls flat on quick look.
I violated my own rule and installed Lion mid-project so I haven't had a lot of opportunity to mess with it all that much at this point, so I don't know if I like it or not. iCal tries to look like the iPad version but it feels like it falls flat on quick look.
Ibjr
May 9, 03:16 PM
I'd be so pissed/happy if it were to become free... 1 year of .Mac and 2 years of MobileMe.
Pissed, I spent $99 for 3 years
Happy, more people will have access to MobileMe's benefits.
I do not understand this flawed logic. Making it free does not impact the service's values for the last three years. If you did not think it was worth the price you paid, you should not have renewed it.
I say this has someone who has paid for dotmac/mobileme since it stopped being iTools. Unlike you, my average yearly cost was 30 dollars because I bought them off of eBay.
Pissed, I spent $99 for 3 years
Happy, more people will have access to MobileMe's benefits.
I do not understand this flawed logic. Making it free does not impact the service's values for the last three years. If you did not think it was worth the price you paid, you should not have renewed it.
I say this has someone who has paid for dotmac/mobileme since it stopped being iTools. Unlike you, my average yearly cost was 30 dollars because I bought them off of eBay.
lincolntran
Mar 29, 03:24 PM
How about "Legal" immigrants?
I'm one of them. My family came here a decade ago with $100 bucks in our pockets. We worked like there's no tomorrow and now we have houses, our kids are graduating colleges.
The way I see it is that "american born and bred" group of people (there's only 1 race - human race) has been spoiled with entitlements and what not. Times are changing and this group is not prepared. This group has to compete with "legal" immigrants and "illegal" immigrants. It's really hard for them because they've never face such competitions before. They have to change their attitude in order to compete. Some realized this and some didn't. Those who realized this is already prepared and are pretty well ahead of the race. Those who didn't are those that're complaining.
Now, back to the topic. :D
I'm one of them. My family came here a decade ago with $100 bucks in our pockets. We worked like there's no tomorrow and now we have houses, our kids are graduating colleges.
The way I see it is that "american born and bred" group of people (there's only 1 race - human race) has been spoiled with entitlements and what not. Times are changing and this group is not prepared. This group has to compete with "legal" immigrants and "illegal" immigrants. It's really hard for them because they've never face such competitions before. They have to change their attitude in order to compete. Some realized this and some didn't. Those who realized this is already prepared and are pretty well ahead of the race. Those who didn't are those that're complaining.
Now, back to the topic. :D
jayhawk11
May 4, 02:54 PM
Why is everyone freaking out about re-installing the OS? Lion creates a recovery partition as part of the install process. If you need to reinstall, just reboot and hold down option...pick the recovery partition and voila.
mdntcallr
Jul 23, 02:53 PM
Just so long as they don't make the glossy screen standard on the MBP, like they did on the MB. I can't stand that glare ridden, reflective surface finish!
Yeah the glossy screen is annoying, reason enough to order a custom job.
Yeah the glossy screen is annoying, reason enough to order a custom job.
kenypowa
Mar 29, 11:06 AM
I don't blame any company who looks at what Apple has done to people who are trying to create services for the iOS platform and decides that they don't want to go there.
They hold up Google Voice and other apps in endless app review purgatories, embarrassing the companies that spent valuable resources developing them. They look at companies that have created amazing magazine apps or streaming media apps, and now they say that they demand the opportunity to market subscriptions to those services and take a 30% cut.
Amazon looks at the situation and knows that Apple will very likely either hold up their app or demand a 30% cut of their subscription fees, and either case is unacceptable. This is especially likely to happen since this new Amazon service seems to compete directly with the cloud services that Apple is gearing up to offer.
Couldn't say it better myself.
They hold up Google Voice and other apps in endless app review purgatories, embarrassing the companies that spent valuable resources developing them. They look at companies that have created amazing magazine apps or streaming media apps, and now they say that they demand the opportunity to market subscriptions to those services and take a 30% cut.
Amazon looks at the situation and knows that Apple will very likely either hold up their app or demand a 30% cut of their subscription fees, and either case is unacceptable. This is especially likely to happen since this new Amazon service seems to compete directly with the cloud services that Apple is gearing up to offer.
Couldn't say it better myself.
MacRumors
Jul 21, 01:50 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)
Intel is shipping Core 2 Duo Mobile chips (Merom) to manufacturers, according to recent Intel financial report (http://download.intel.com/intel/finance/earnings/IntelQ22006earningsfoils.pdf). A recent AppleInsider story (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1890) had indicated that Intel may have plans to move up Merom's formal launch to next Monday, July 23rd, to coincide with the Core 2 Duo Desktop variant ("Conroe") launch. Despite the move, availablility at the time was still not expected until August.
Merom is expected to replace Core Duo "Yonah" CPUs found in the MacBook Pro. Apple could use the 2.0, 2.16, or 2.33 GHz variants of Merom in its MacBook Pro line, each of which sport 4 MB of L2 Cache (up from 2 MB in current MacBook Pros) and have a 667 MHz frontside bus.
Intel is shipping Core 2 Duo Mobile chips (Merom) to manufacturers, according to recent Intel financial report (http://download.intel.com/intel/finance/earnings/IntelQ22006earningsfoils.pdf). A recent AppleInsider story (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1890) had indicated that Intel may have plans to move up Merom's formal launch to next Monday, July 23rd, to coincide with the Core 2 Duo Desktop variant ("Conroe") launch. Despite the move, availablility at the time was still not expected until August.
Merom is expected to replace Core Duo "Yonah" CPUs found in the MacBook Pro. Apple could use the 2.0, 2.16, or 2.33 GHz variants of Merom in its MacBook Pro line, each of which sport 4 MB of L2 Cache (up from 2 MB in current MacBook Pros) and have a 667 MHz frontside bus.
0815
Apr 5, 03:00 PM
(throw out Android tablet and iOS tablet as those are different categories and distort reality).
I guess you mean they disturb your view of the world .... ;)
I guess you mean they disturb your view of the world .... ;)
mcmlxix
Apr 7, 10:53 AM
Maybe if enterprises really get on board, then sales will ramp up. But businesses are going to run three months of tests before they role out the big blackberries for the staff.
3 months? My company is *still* testing Windows 7. It *may* be rolled out the end of this year.
3 months? My company is *still* testing Windows 7. It *may* be rolled out the end of this year.
e-coli
May 7, 11:18 AM
It should be free. It's craptastic; painfully slow and full of bugs.
thetexan
Mar 29, 10:19 AM
And Amazon thinks crippling ioS compatibility will be good business? FAIL.
Why would Amazon spend time and money catering to the iOS platform when Apple is flaky on what it approves in the app store. We still have no idea how Apple's greedy "we want 30% of subscriber revenues" rule will effect some of the most popular iOS apps when Apple decides to start enforcing it this summer. When Apple rolls out their new ME service they could very well simply deny Amazon access to the app store. Imagine all the pissed off people at Amazon who paid only to find out they can't access their cloud services anymore thanks to Apple's decision.
Why would Amazon spend time and money catering to the iOS platform when Apple is flaky on what it approves in the app store. We still have no idea how Apple's greedy "we want 30% of subscriber revenues" rule will effect some of the most popular iOS apps when Apple decides to start enforcing it this summer. When Apple rolls out their new ME service they could very well simply deny Amazon access to the app store. Imagine all the pissed off people at Amazon who paid only to find out they can't access their cloud services anymore thanks to Apple's decision.
mazola
Sep 15, 05:01 PM
Though the Macshrine site lists Photokina as happening on September 14--yesterday. :confused:
Macshrine issued the following corrections:
'September 14' was supposed to read 'September 25'
'MBP' was supposed to read 'We don't know'
We apologize for any confusion.
Macshrine issued the following corrections:
'September 14' was supposed to read 'September 25'
'MBP' was supposed to read 'We don't know'
We apologize for any confusion.
suwandy
Sep 15, 06:13 PM
So, how is MacShrine perceived in the rumor community? Do they have a sufficiently good track record for us to say, "this is it - the Merom MBP is finally coming", or is this likely to be just another rehash of all the Core2Duo MBP hype/frustration going around?
Reliable or not, I guess this is a good news for many of us waiting for the C2D MBP. If it proved reliable, I think MacRumors should pay more attention to check their updates in the future. ;)
I was about to think of that as "another crappy site?" but then I thought, hey, everyone have their own sources that you could never imagine, like one of the posts right before Sept 12th event claiming to know the entire agenda, and he's pretty accurate, no?
Reliable or not, I guess this is a good news for many of us waiting for the C2D MBP. If it proved reliable, I think MacRumors should pay more attention to check their updates in the future. ;)
I was about to think of that as "another crappy site?" but then I thought, hey, everyone have their own sources that you could never imagine, like one of the posts right before Sept 12th event claiming to know the entire agenda, and he's pretty accurate, no?
QuarterSwede
Apr 25, 11:33 AM
Exactly. I don't know why everybody is all fired up about this. If you aren't a criminal, you have nothing to worry about. If you are, then you are probably bright enough to use a burn phone. :p
The issue is more being concerned about those in abusive relationships and the like. You definitely don't want a physically abusive spouse to have access to your location information.
The issue is more being concerned about those in abusive relationships and the like. You definitely don't want a physically abusive spouse to have access to your location information.
Teddy's
Sep 11, 09:30 AM
And Radiohead.
I wonder about these two -- three before Dave Matthews Band came aboard -- everytime there's a major music announcement.
If they add the "album only" feature to *All* Radiohead's songs, more bands will follow. Mostly for marketing reasons. There are lots of those crappy "Radiohead wannabes - ohhhhhh our songs should not be outside their album":mad:
Now, I can't wait for tomorrow's event!
I wonder about these two -- three before Dave Matthews Band came aboard -- everytime there's a major music announcement.
If they add the "album only" feature to *All* Radiohead's songs, more bands will follow. Mostly for marketing reasons. There are lots of those crappy "Radiohead wannabes - ohhhhhh our songs should not be outside their album":mad:
Now, I can't wait for tomorrow's event!
Zimmy68
Mar 29, 09:11 AM
And Amazon thinks crippling ioS compatibility will be good business? FAIL.
It's Apple crippling it with their, we get 30% of everything no matter what it is.
Amazon would love to get this on iOS devices, it helps with their sales. That is why Kindle is available.
Talk to Apple, they are the bad guy here.
It's Apple crippling it with their, we get 30% of everything no matter what it is.
Amazon would love to get this on iOS devices, it helps with their sales. That is why Kindle is available.
Talk to Apple, they are the bad guy here.
timothyjay2004
May 4, 07:41 PM
Why is everyone getting so bent out of shape so early? First off, this is hear say and not officially stated by Apple yet. If that time comes, I'm sure there will be the option of a physical disk, or some way to make a bootable install disk using disk utility. I mean this thing is already 9 pages long of people flipping out that OMG!!! ITS A DOWNLOAD!!! Guess what? Microsoft offers windows as a download, and guess what? You can burn it to a physical disk.. I can't believe so many people are already jumping the gun on a RUMOR. It's a RUMOR until Apple officially announces it...
OdduWon
Sep 16, 12:23 AM
xeon mbp next tuesday..... ehhhah.. ehhhah....
bella92108
Apr 5, 02:44 PM
I tip my hat to you that you still buy your software when Jailbroken phones can easily use pirated software.
I think you'd be surprised how many people like me are out there. I support developers, regardless if they're developing on the App Store, or the Cydia Store, because they're both working equally hard.
The only reason I jailbreak my device is for the visual tweaks... well and NOSPOT, lol, I hate that crap.
I think you'd be surprised how many people like me are out there. I support developers, regardless if they're developing on the App Store, or the Cydia Store, because they're both working equally hard.
The only reason I jailbreak my device is for the visual tweaks... well and NOSPOT, lol, I hate that crap.
iGary
Sep 11, 06:54 AM
Yep, I've said it before and I'll say it again.
The first rule of an Apple Event: You never get all the marbles.
Just trying to hedge off the 5,123 "This is BS, no MBP/MB updates OMG!!!11BBQ" threads. ;)
The first rule of an Apple Event: You never get all the marbles.
Just trying to hedge off the 5,123 "This is BS, no MBP/MB updates OMG!!!11BBQ" threads. ;)
snberk103
May 6, 11:27 AM
I can understand the intuitive justification of this argument, but I'd like to see something more rigorous before I accept it. My own intuitive sense is that learning measurement systems, while important to early child development, don't, in of themselves (i.e., imperial or metric), have a causal relationship with math and science success (or failure) in school. I think there are other much stronger factors to success in math and engineering. One example: "male malaise" in the UK and the USA (a general problem in elementary and secondary schools); also, public school math programs are not rigorous and set the bar relatively low.
Tell you what ..... you go and find 20 kids in grade 3 or 4. Teach 10 of them how to multiply 3 13/16" by 3, and then teach the other 10 how to multiply 96.8 by 3. Then see how many from each group decide to take up social work, or teaching history, becoming a ski instructor as a profession :D.
Tell you what ..... you go and find 20 kids in grade 3 or 4. Teach 10 of them how to multiply 3 13/16" by 3, and then teach the other 10 how to multiply 96.8 by 3. Then see how many from each group decide to take up social work, or teaching history, becoming a ski instructor as a profession :D.
ThaDoggg
Mar 28, 09:47 AM
It's important that Apple starts to devote some serious time to it's operating systems as well. I don't see any major drawbacks to delaying any potential new hardware introductions.