the world is flat by thomas friedman

the world is flat by thomas friedman. Thomas Friedman: The World Is
  • Thomas Friedman: The World Is



  • macaddiict
    Apr 25, 01:37 PM
    I haven't read this lawsuit, so I don't know if they're claiming things that aren't true... but I really do not like the fact that the iPhone has a breadcrumbs database of my travels for the last 3 years!

    This type of thing should not happen without users' knowledge... and it was. Or else this file would not be news!





    the world is flat by thomas friedman. Thomas Friedman#39;s The
  • Thomas Friedman#39;s The



  • Bill McEnaney
    Apr 27, 12:27 PM
    I guess you missed the part where the one that is being shown is a certified copy.



    Maybe?? For someone who isn't a birther, you sure sound like one.

    Apparently the short form wasn't convincing enough...which is why the long form has now been presented.
    I suspected it was a copy, I've never trusted the president, and I probably never will. It's one thing to doubt that the certificate is legitimate. It's quite another to believe that the certificate is not legitimate.





    the world is flat by thomas friedman. called “The World is Flat”
  • called “The World is Flat”



  • mrsir2009
    Apr 6, 02:10 PM
    Good for them.





    the world is flat by thomas friedman. of Thomas Friedman#39;s The
  • of Thomas Friedman#39;s The



  • Macaroony
    Mar 3, 04:08 AM
    I'm sorry, Bill, but your logic has one big flaw.

    If you decided to live celibately while other heterosexuals are open to have sex in a [monogamous] relationship, that's fine by me but what you're implying is that every homosexual should be celibate, so what's the point of being attracted to the same-sex at all in your logic?

    I believe you have to label yourself asexual from now on, since not having or craving sex makes you neither a homosexual nor heterosexual.





    the world is flat by thomas friedman. Thomas Friedman talked about
  • Thomas Friedman talked about



  • Chupa Chupa
    Apr 11, 07:51 AM
    I'm sure the idiot fanboys will buy it no matter what, but people like myself (who actually make a living and want reliable, efficient software) are ready to leave.


    Then that just begs the question, "why haven't these people left already?" FCP has been fairly stagnant for years. There are plenty of other alternatives, so doesn't that kinda make them fanboyish too for sticking it out when up to this point Apple has given zero hints about when or how it will take FCP to the next level?

    I'm not in the video editing biz, but if the pro s/w I use in my profession hobbled my efficiency and workflow the way you are carping about FCP, and there were viable alternatives, I would abandon it quicker than pigeon can snatch a bread crumb. Just sayin'.





    the world is flat by thomas friedman. of Thomas Friedman#39;s The
  • of Thomas Friedman#39;s The



  • nostaws
    Apr 10, 12:59 AM
    Hey. But there is something to be said for familiarity. We all know how to use it. But I agree an update would be nice.

    Hoping for some better multi-core support(although probably going to have to wait for Lion for the newer QuickTime engine) and a UI that isn't from the 90's:
    http://www.candlerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/03_ambit_fullscreen-300x232.jpg

    ^ Final Cut on Mac OS 9

    Final Cut on Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard:
    http://adobe-discount.com/product_images/o/apple_final_cut_express_hd_4__90390.jpg

    Only thing that's changed is the scroll bars.





    the world is flat by thomas friedman. The World Is Flat (Thomas
  • The World Is Flat (Thomas



  • shamino
    Jul 22, 12:06 PM
    I'm just curious about your post. Why would anyone in their right mind maintain a website for a product/company that no longer exists? Seems like a big waste of time and resources. I can see doing something similar for archival purposes, but that link leads to a complete website that has the appearance that it is still active.
    I can think of several reasons. To sell service and support to users that have no other source, and has a hobby are the biggest two that come to mind.

    You might be surprised to learn that there are still a lot of Amiga (http://www.amiga.com/)-enthusiast web sites, and even one where the owners are making new hardware (http://www.a2retrosystems.com/index.htm) for Apple-II series computers. (And there appears to be a surprisingly strong demand for Apple II Ethernet cards!)





    the world is flat by thomas friedman. The World is Flat , Thomas
  • The World is Flat , Thomas



  • NJRonbo
    Jun 22, 05:59 PM
    Whaaaat?

    Is this a case where Radio Shack is charging
    $50 more than Apple just because they can?





    the world is flat by thomas friedman. Since Thomas Friedman wrote
  • Since Thomas Friedman wrote



  • LarryB08
    Apr 8, 08:09 AM
    what you(Best Buy) did was take $100 from the customer and lock them in from buying anywere else!

    Yeah, Best Buy took that $100 alright...they held a gun to each customer's head and told them flat out - "we have no more in stock so you better pay us $100 or else"

    If you believe this was actually some sort of BB ruse, and still paid your money, then you deserve what you get. Start taking responsibility for your own actions for a change.





    the world is flat by thomas friedman. is Flat,” Thomas Friedman
  • is Flat,” Thomas Friedman



  • Rend It
    Aug 5, 06:07 PM
    snippet

    Why is Front Row dependent on iSight ?


    No good, clear reason. It's just that Front Row usually goes along with PhotoBooth, so.... Also, it seems that Apple might be really pushing iChat with Leopard, especially video chatting, and the iMac, MBP, and MB all have iSights. It doesn't seem too crazy to believe that perhaps Apple wants a built-in camera in all of their hardware. In the case of the Mac Pro, Xserve, and Mini, the natural place for such a device is a display.

    Pure speculation, of course. :D





    the world is flat by thomas friedman. book quot;The World Is Flat.
  • book quot;The World Is Flat.



  • adamfilip
    Jul 21, 10:13 AM
    Now you just need to decide what color your want your new computer... (again)

    I want Apple to take the current PowerMac G5 Case
    make it 25% shorter, add a second optical drive
    and two more Internal hard drives
    add some External Sata ports. and 4 more USB2 ports
    1 more front usb2 port
    make the mic port powered

    and then make the case black anodized aluminum. and have the apple logo on the sides backlit just like the notebooks





    the world is flat by thomas friedman. The World is Flat: A brief
  • The World is Flat: A brief



  • TsMkLg068426
    Apr 25, 03:23 PM
    OH ****! GOOGLE AND MICROSOFT FANBOYS ARE MAD! U MUST SUE APPLE NOW! LOL!:p:apple:





    the world is flat by thomas friedman. book The World Is Flat.)
  • book The World Is Flat.)



  • chatin
    Aug 18, 09:55 PM
    Here is the link to the fast memory.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=5300+fb+dimm&Submit=ENE&Ntk=all&N=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

    The desktop literally explodes onto the screen! The clock timer gets only one quarter the way around one rotation. I'll see if I can shoot a quicktime movie for future Quad G5 switchers.

    :) :p





    the world is flat by thomas friedman. Thomas Friedman famously
  • Thomas Friedman famously



  • deannnnn
    Jun 8, 09:26 PM
    I would rather just order it online if I didn't want to drive to an Apple Store.

    Seriously, RadioShack needs to die.

    I used to go to RadioShack every time I needed some kind of cable or needed to convert some kind of cable into another kind of cable. Then I learned that they're prices are insanely high and I've been being ripped off. Now I buy from cmple.com.





    the world is flat by thomas friedman. In his book, The World is Flat
  • In his book, The World is Flat



  • jav6454
    Feb 28, 04:48 PM
    Well, I have nothing to say, but that the University has grounds for dismissal if difference of opinion arises.

    True, you can argue the gay card, but in this case, they college played the rights cards to get rid of him. Was it the best choice? No.

    Still, it's the college's right on who teaches or not; and seeing how it's a Catholic Church college, I'd say it was bound to happen.





    the world is flat by thomas friedman. In 2005, Thomas Friedman
  • In 2005, Thomas Friedman



  • dethmaShine
    Apr 19, 02:35 PM
    Wrong. Just because a company released one phone that has a similar look as the iPhone doesn't mean their current offerings are a progression of that phone. It's a true testament as to who browses this forum if you honestly think that. The F700 didn't run an advanced OS, so it probably ran Symbian or used BREW. That means all Samsung did was create a theme. How does a theme they made 3 years prior to the Galaxy S mean it's a progression on the coding and UI they built? It doesn't. Here's a list of every Samsung phone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Samsung_mobile_phones Now, pick out one of those and say it inspired all of their new devices 3 years later.

    The F700 was an iPhone clone with a keyboard. It's depressing that people are saying that the iPhone copied its own clone.

    Just look at his post history and you'll understand that you are arguing in vain.





    the world is flat by thomas friedman. Earth : The World is Flat
  • Earth : The World is Flat



  • samcraig
    Apr 27, 08:46 AM
    Pot, meet kettle.

    There's a difference in what I wrote and what the OP did. I said I THINK. Big difference between a declaritive statement and offering my opinion.





    the world is flat by thomas friedman. The World is Flat,
  • The World is Flat,



  • KnightWRX
    Mar 26, 07:58 AM
    2) $129 is too much. This one cracks me up. Apple is bundling a $500 product into the OS (and other OS based servers are far more expensive) and people think $129 is too much?

    Apple is bundling a bunch of GUI management tools, akin to Webmin. Was that worth 500$ before ? Nope. Is it more expensive elsewhere ? No. Let's face it, OS X Server was always a toy Unix compared to other big-Iron Unix systems and even to Linux as far as enterprise support goes. Volume management, hello Cupertino ?

    Their old archaic way of managing storage is atrocious and no, I don't necessarily want to hook up with a huge array and run Xsan, I just want to intelligently manage my local storage. No, just RAID1 volumes is not enough, I want my volumes logical and independant of my physical volumes. I want to be able to move logical extents to new physical extents without having to take down anything on the box.

    And what about those GUI tools ? I can't even just do X11 tunneling over SSH to my desktop to run them, I have either run their Remote Desktop stuff or use a 3rd party solution like VNC... What good are they ? At least make them web based (HP Systems Management Homepage type stuff) and join in to what the rest of the industry got clued into years ago if you don't want to code GUI stuff over X11.

    And other OS based servers are not more expensive. Solaris is free (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris/downloads/index.html). I won't even bother linking to all the free distributions of Linux that are ready for the server (Fedora, OpenSuSE, Arch, Ubuntu). The BSDs. Unix server product vendors make their money off of support contracts, not the actual software itself, an arena Apple obviously wants no part of.

    All the bits and pieces of server software is mostly re-packaged open source components nowadays anyhow. Most every vendor out there is using Apache and Tomcat in their web-based products, Postfix on the mail side, I've seen a lot of MySQL and PostgreSQL based products (HP uses both, MySQL I've seen in their Output Manager product, PostgreSQL in their System Fault Management, Symantec uses MySQL for Brightmail), and let's not even get into OpenSSL and OpenSSH...

    Heck, even Apple does this. OS X server is just a bunch of open source components packaged up together. Apache, OpenLDAP, OpenSSH, ClamAV...

    So please, pretty please, with a cherry on top, let's not call OS X Server something worth 500$ and compare it to "others that are more expensive but in actuality are free to download and run and only expensive to get vendor support for".

    This rant was longer than it should have been. I love OS X as a desktop OS. I'd pay 129$ for a Lion upgrade with my eyes closed. Best of both worlds. Unix underpinnings and powerful command-line (everything is there!) with integration for all my server products yet fast and easy to setup GUI that is mostly consistent so as to attract a large user base that makes it a good proposition for commercial software vendors to port their packages to. Apple just never got really serious about the server side of it (and lets face it, it's not their business and they obviously want no part of the entreprise market) and I'm not faulting them for that. Let's not be as disingenious as to claim their selling you a 500$ product for 129$ though.

    I'm shocked at how many people are so willing to just wave away all the nice under-the-hood changes and improvements that Snow Leopard offers just because there aren't any super-radical UI changes... really disappointing to be honest. Does it really have to be all flashy to be of interest to you? What, the functional side of things doesn't matter any more?

    See how this little change in your comment still makes it apply very much to the MacRumors crowd ? ;) The fact is, you're not really dealing with technical people on MacRumors, no matter how much some of them pretend they are. Heck, some of them still believe that HTML is a programming language and that they are web developers because their tools of choice are PhotoShop and Dreamweaver.





    the world is flat by thomas friedman. Flatquot; by Thomas Friedman
  • Flatquot; by Thomas Friedman



  • radiohead14
    Apr 6, 11:00 AM
    Can we also expect, ?

    -Backlit keys
    -Brighter display, colors, and IPS

    i wonder if apple could get samsung's PLS display actually. those look better than IPS

    I LOL'd. I owned iPad 1 for a year, and while it's nice, it's a FAR, FAR cry from the productivity capabilities of the current gen MBA.

    Like it or not, iPad is SEVERELY CRIPPLED for content creation (i.e. real work), but excels at content CONSUMPTION. That's factual and completely undebatable. Everyone knows this.

    So, no, it's not "something better". It's a more viable choice for entertainment and consumption. That's it.

    don't tell that to the kids who hang out at the ipad forum section.. they'll stone you =)

    What is the obsession with back-lit keys?

    Do you actually look at the keyboard when you're typing?

    well speaking only for myself.. i suck at typing, so having this feature at night helps. and being an owner of 2 MB Pros, i've been spoiled by the backlit keys





    ten-oak-druid
    Apr 7, 11:11 PM
    I hate going into best buy. It is staffed by a bunch of people in their teens and tweens. That's fine except they tend to think giving a guess as an answer is acceptable when "I don't know" would be a better answer. I never trust them for advice and search for my answers elsewhere. I remember when I bought my first Directv with DVR unit. I asked about the USB port and whether or not you could connect an external drive. The kid looked at it, saw the usb port, and decided that must be what its for and said yes. I had encountered this before and knew not to trust him. Sure enough that port was for programming the unit only. I didn't care in that case as I didn't really need that feature and knew not to trust him anyway. But I have had other instances. Once I asked about an AV receiver and was mad when I got home to find the feature asked about was not existent.

    CompUSA used to have better trained employees but then they laid them off because the company thought they were paid too much. It turned into Best Buy. I sent a letter to CompUSA telling them that laying people off would not fix the problems but only make it worse and that I hoped they went out of business for their decision to turn their backs on good employees. I didn't have to weight long for my wish to come true.

    Anyway Best Buy is all there is really except for Fry's but that is not conveniently located. I can see the next electronics chain to launch easily topping Best Buy. If they hire people who actually care to learn about the product that is.





    ten-oak-druid
    Apr 20, 02:43 PM
    I thought Samsung went too far when they included little white stickers in the shape of apples inside the box.





    Winnychan213
    Apr 11, 06:26 PM
    I don't see 1 gig of ram coming, but It may well be upgraded. On top of what you said, larger screen, 4G, 8 MP 1080p video and FaceTime hd and that would 100% be a worthy upgrade. Sadly, it won't turn out that way.
    I only speak for myself on this, but i probably wouldn't need 4G, 1080 camera or facetime hd. I will buy a camera for taking videos, and a lot of places where i commute every day had wifi, and it is my point of view that you dont need facetime hd as well. (Unless you enjoy looking at the pimples on your wife's face, then thats another story)





    Reventon
    Nov 24, 12:53 PM
    Mine is installing right now too. The install process is rather long and tedious, but I can't wait to try out the Top Gear track first if I can. I wonder how many petrolheads are going to do that first? :D





    VanNess
    Aug 5, 05:59 PM
    Im glad we will be getting a bit of closure on monday, while I love the rumors its been getting a bit to much, im actively avoiding all mac related sites... I dont want to be the boy that spoilt his own Xmas! :D

    Here, let me show you the art and science of rumoring (http://www.misterbg.org/AppleProductCycle/), Apple-style.