zombierunner
Mar 31, 05:51 AM
Mac OS X Pus*y ;)
Mac OS X Kitteh and the one after that Mac OS X Kitteh Galore
Mac OS X Kitteh and the one after that Mac OS X Kitteh Galore
alent1234
Apr 7, 11:23 AM
apple was supposed to have bought up all the smartphone displays as well, yet it's easy to buy an Atrix, Inspire or any other android phone. manufacturers just use screen sizes that apple doesn't use
Cedd
Sep 11, 04:55 AM
Ooooh... how we used to dream of wheels made out of lead. Ours were made of depleted uranium. :eek:
You 'ad wheelbarrows and paper! Y'soft southern nancies...We 'ad to remember the binary code in our 'eads and if we got one number wrong our dads would kill us and dance on our shallow graves...
'onestly, kids today. :rolleyes:
You 'ad wheelbarrows and paper! Y'soft southern nancies...We 'ad to remember the binary code in our 'eads and if we got one number wrong our dads would kill us and dance on our shallow graves...
'onestly, kids today. :rolleyes:
wordoflife
Apr 9, 05:19 PM
I did parenthesis, then multiplication or division from left to right. That's how I was taught it.
I'm pretty sure doing PEMDAS left to right is the proper way to do it
48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
24(12)
288
I'm pretty sure doing PEMDAS left to right is the proper way to do it
48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
24(12)
288
Sky Blue
Aug 4, 01:25 PM
So I am planning on buying a MBP a soon or soon after they upgrade to Merom (depending on my $$ situation). BUt, I might be convinced to wait until Leopard is installed on the machines to buy.
Question:
How much will it cost to upgrade? I know that the current version of OSX is $100+ in the Apple store. Is that an upgrade, or for people still running 9? Will the upgrade be that much?
Thanks
$129 for everybody if it's like previous releases. There is usually no upgrade.
Question:
How much will it cost to upgrade? I know that the current version of OSX is $100+ in the Apple store. Is that an upgrade, or for people still running 9? Will the upgrade be that much?
Thanks
$129 for everybody if it's like previous releases. There is usually no upgrade.
Kavok
Apr 26, 04:16 PM
Okay let's break it down per handset. 97 android phones with different versions of android (per wikipedia).. 5 different iPhones since 2007... which has greater share per handset?
Just because Android is flooding the market doesn't make it a superior mobile OS. Just one that caters to the lowest common denominator.
People I've talked to with Android-based smartphones aren't happy with the interface and some have decided to go iPhone after showing them the differences.
Just because Android is flooding the market doesn't make it a superior mobile OS. Just one that caters to the lowest common denominator.
People I've talked to with Android-based smartphones aren't happy with the interface and some have decided to go iPhone after showing them the differences.
JAT
Apr 20, 10:29 AM
I would like the same specs but 2x batt life.
Get a battery pack to charge it at some point. The iPhone 4 is pretty high up on the scale of battery life among smartphones. I don't think it's going to increase because we all seem to be happy with this general battery life area.
They can keep the form factor, just give us a bigger screen. Stretch it to the bezel.
That thing is dying for a 4", hell even a 3.7" screen.
No. Don't stretch to the bezel, unless the bezel is getting bigger, which is the same bloody thing as making a bigger phone. I don't want the screen at the edge of the phone, and nobody makes this, for good reason. You have to be able to hold onto something on the phone. Really.
This update is not good enough, apple. Do more.
8 megapixel camera with 1080P recording.
1080p recording has nothing to do with the camera. It is 2592x1936 on the iPhone 4, so 1080 is possible.
You're a ****ing idiot. I'm not acting as if I were entitled to anything, I'm just pointing out that a large part of the world doesn't give a crap about 2-year contracts. My upgrade cycle for iPhones is every 12 months, and the same goes for most people I know.
So, we aren't allowed to talk about contracts? On the internet? Because you might come by and read about it? Yes, that is what "entitlement" is, get over yourself and skip over the posts that don't apply to you. Christ, esp when it is a positive for you.
Get a battery pack to charge it at some point. The iPhone 4 is pretty high up on the scale of battery life among smartphones. I don't think it's going to increase because we all seem to be happy with this general battery life area.
They can keep the form factor, just give us a bigger screen. Stretch it to the bezel.
That thing is dying for a 4", hell even a 3.7" screen.
No. Don't stretch to the bezel, unless the bezel is getting bigger, which is the same bloody thing as making a bigger phone. I don't want the screen at the edge of the phone, and nobody makes this, for good reason. You have to be able to hold onto something on the phone. Really.
This update is not good enough, apple. Do more.
8 megapixel camera with 1080P recording.
1080p recording has nothing to do with the camera. It is 2592x1936 on the iPhone 4, so 1080 is possible.
You're a ****ing idiot. I'm not acting as if I were entitled to anything, I'm just pointing out that a large part of the world doesn't give a crap about 2-year contracts. My upgrade cycle for iPhones is every 12 months, and the same goes for most people I know.
So, we aren't allowed to talk about contracts? On the internet? Because you might come by and read about it? Yes, that is what "entitlement" is, get over yourself and skip over the posts that don't apply to you. Christ, esp when it is a positive for you.
regandarcy
Mar 27, 06:52 AM
I'm all for cloud computing as an added feature....but not as a replacement for traditional storage of media and data.
I mean, I hope Apple doesn't force people to be connected to the cloud. I think that would be a mistake. Mainly because it would force you to either have access to a wifi signal, or pay for an expensive data plan just to gain access to your media.
As it is, all the telecom companies are dropping their unlimited plans and switching to tiered pricing. I think this creates a problem for the user to freely use their content without constant fear of exceeding their data plans.
And what of people with iPod touches or wifi only ipads...who are not within range of a wifi signal....and cannot access their content as a result. That would be very frustrating and limiting. It would make their devices nothing more than expensive paper weights.
It also creates a problem for those with 3G ipads or iPhones trying to access large video or media files in their cloud I think. I mean have you ever tried to watch a YouTube video over 3G? It SUCKS! So you'd be using up tons of bandwidth on a tiered data plan for crappy quality. How is that good?
And if the iPhone 5 is the first apple device to use 4G speeds....won't that eat up even more bandwidth? Running an even greater risk of you going over your limit and being charged outrageous fees by your service provider? Be it ATT or Verizon?
I understand that the concept of the cloud is freedom at it's core....the ability to have access to your media across multiple devices without having to store it on just one...but then you become a slave to the telecom companies and their tiered data plans...thus defeating that freedom.
Plus it forces you to chose a 3G iPad or put 3G into iPod touches to make it useful.
So I get it, and I don't get it.
The original concept of the iPod was to be able to carry all your music with you. Total freedom. And that's what helped make it such a huge success. Then came the iPhone and iPad. Both equally cool for music and video. You could store all your data on them and listen or watch them at your leisure on the go.
But if you then force people to store their data on a cloud...and pay for an expensive tiered data plan to access that data...to me it becomes not so free anymore. In fact, it becomes downright restrictive and suffocating IMHO.
As long as Apple doesn't abandon the ability to store your media ON your device, I'm cool with this move. The cloud would just become an added bonus which you could use or not use at your discretion.
I just think having to be connected to the cloud via wifi or 3G to access your data is kind of annoying....not to mention potentially EXPENSIVE!
Once in awhile...ok. But not as ones main means of access. I much rather have the bulk of my music and data actually stored ON my device. Much more convenient if you ask me.
Flash drives are big enough to carry most if not all the music and video you need. Why store it all on apple servers on some big farm in North Carolina that you need to be connected to wifi or an expensive tiered data plan just to access it? Don't see the point.
Is it just me? :-)
I mean, I hope Apple doesn't force people to be connected to the cloud. I think that would be a mistake. Mainly because it would force you to either have access to a wifi signal, or pay for an expensive data plan just to gain access to your media.
As it is, all the telecom companies are dropping their unlimited plans and switching to tiered pricing. I think this creates a problem for the user to freely use their content without constant fear of exceeding their data plans.
And what of people with iPod touches or wifi only ipads...who are not within range of a wifi signal....and cannot access their content as a result. That would be very frustrating and limiting. It would make their devices nothing more than expensive paper weights.
It also creates a problem for those with 3G ipads or iPhones trying to access large video or media files in their cloud I think. I mean have you ever tried to watch a YouTube video over 3G? It SUCKS! So you'd be using up tons of bandwidth on a tiered data plan for crappy quality. How is that good?
And if the iPhone 5 is the first apple device to use 4G speeds....won't that eat up even more bandwidth? Running an even greater risk of you going over your limit and being charged outrageous fees by your service provider? Be it ATT or Verizon?
I understand that the concept of the cloud is freedom at it's core....the ability to have access to your media across multiple devices without having to store it on just one...but then you become a slave to the telecom companies and their tiered data plans...thus defeating that freedom.
Plus it forces you to chose a 3G iPad or put 3G into iPod touches to make it useful.
So I get it, and I don't get it.
The original concept of the iPod was to be able to carry all your music with you. Total freedom. And that's what helped make it such a huge success. Then came the iPhone and iPad. Both equally cool for music and video. You could store all your data on them and listen or watch them at your leisure on the go.
But if you then force people to store their data on a cloud...and pay for an expensive tiered data plan to access that data...to me it becomes not so free anymore. In fact, it becomes downright restrictive and suffocating IMHO.
As long as Apple doesn't abandon the ability to store your media ON your device, I'm cool with this move. The cloud would just become an added bonus which you could use or not use at your discretion.
I just think having to be connected to the cloud via wifi or 3G to access your data is kind of annoying....not to mention potentially EXPENSIVE!
Once in awhile...ok. But not as ones main means of access. I much rather have the bulk of my music and data actually stored ON my device. Much more convenient if you ask me.
Flash drives are big enough to carry most if not all the music and video you need. Why store it all on apple servers on some big farm in North Carolina that you need to be connected to wifi or an expensive tiered data plan just to access it? Don't see the point.
Is it just me? :-)
toddybody
Apr 7, 09:37 AM
Ehh, purposeful or not (as a sabotage)...not good news for iPad competition:( Which isnt good news for us iPad users...Apple needs constant pressure to release revolutionary products.

caspersoong
Apr 8, 07:05 AM
The idea here is that NO ONE else was even considering making a tablet until Apple, and the iPad. They didn't want to be left behind like they were with the iPhone, so now everyone's jumping on board. It's RIM'S fault for not coming to market sooner with a tablet. You can thank Apple for creating the current modern day tablet. Everyone says apple needs competition to keep them from getting stagnant as a company, but they didn't need it when producing the iPod, or the iPhone, and they certainly didn't need it for the iPad. No ones fault but their own that they aren't smart enough to innovate like Apple.
There were many tablets before the iPad. Just that they all sucked and mostly tried to use PC chips, leading to extremely short battery life, being slow, and hundreds of other factors causing them to sell in very small amounts. But it is true that Apple did the right thing in their innovation.
There were many tablets before the iPad. Just that they all sucked and mostly tried to use PC chips, leading to extremely short battery life, being slow, and hundreds of other factors causing them to sell in very small amounts. But it is true that Apple did the right thing in their innovation.
Multimedia
Sep 15, 05:20 PM
Agreed at the latest. Gotta have the easy access HD bay like the MacBook or I will not adopt. :D
islanders
Jul 22, 12:01 PM
Nearly the entire line of majot Apple products is in need of an update.
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
Thanks for the link. Your right they are all in need of an update. I assumed most of them were brand new. Wow.
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
Thanks for the link. Your right they are all in need of an update. I assumed most of them were brand new. Wow.
wclyffe
Nov 8, 10:41 AM
I was at a local apple store and they are selling the tom tom car kit already. What a rip off, because you have to pay for the app seperate. I got the griffin car mount for $20 at frys and the navigon app, works great.
I think that in the end, TomTom's iPhone Car Kit is going to be more valuable than their app, or their full blown Nav devices. Look back at my earlier post (#50) and you'll see my reasons. It's currently at $87 and will keep going down over time. It is easily the best dock/car kit out there, and I agree with you about Navigon. I have used both apps and Navigon is the easy winner.
I think that in the end, TomTom's iPhone Car Kit is going to be more valuable than their app, or their full blown Nav devices. Look back at my earlier post (#50) and you'll see my reasons. It's currently at $87 and will keep going down over time. It is easily the best dock/car kit out there, and I agree with you about Navigon. I have used both apps and Navigon is the easy winner.
shaolindave
May 4, 03:29 PM
two things:
a) Does nobody read?
From TFA:
Granted, I think that the article is a little bit of intentional flamebait because they use wishywashy words like "preferred" to start up a discussion to ratchet up page views.... But come on, people. We all know that every time Macrumors tries to start controversy on a perceived "change" in functionality or standards, nine times out of ten there's more than one option available... '
yes, I'm sure we all read that. it doesn't really answer any questions though.
i have physical versions of iLife and iWork (or did, actually). my family lost our iWork disc. I still have it installed on my hard drive. I COULD buy it from the app store, but it'd cost me full price (again).
what if I buy Lion from the app store, then my computer fails or i replace the hard drive. yes, i do have the option of buying a physical disc, but i'd have to pay full price (again).
if they allow to app store version to be burned to disc or copied to USB drive, awesome, that'll solve the problem. however, so far this is being presented as a digital download, not an alternative means to get a physical copy.
a) Does nobody read?
From TFA:
Granted, I think that the article is a little bit of intentional flamebait because they use wishywashy words like "preferred" to start up a discussion to ratchet up page views.... But come on, people. We all know that every time Macrumors tries to start controversy on a perceived "change" in functionality or standards, nine times out of ten there's more than one option available... '
yes, I'm sure we all read that. it doesn't really answer any questions though.
i have physical versions of iLife and iWork (or did, actually). my family lost our iWork disc. I still have it installed on my hard drive. I COULD buy it from the app store, but it'd cost me full price (again).
what if I buy Lion from the app store, then my computer fails or i replace the hard drive. yes, i do have the option of buying a physical disc, but i'd have to pay full price (again).
if they allow to app store version to be burned to disc or copied to USB drive, awesome, that'll solve the problem. however, so far this is being presented as a digital download, not an alternative means to get a physical copy.
redsoxunixgeek
Dec 31, 08:51 PM
I use Sophos. And it is awesome, easy to use, and would recommend it to everyone, including their pure message mail sanitizing program. Best on the Market, especially when used with a Barracuda Firewall.
Now My VPN policy for ALL users, is when they sign on to the VPN they have a host check that verifies
1. Anti Virus Software is installed
2. The Machine signing in has been scanned for viruses within the last 3 days prior to sign in.
3. The AV software is updated with the latest updates.
If all 3 pass, (plus their RSA Key and their Digital Certificate) then they can sign in,
If not, they go to download it.
This is just common sense in my opinion, and good practice for those of us that are short staffed and need to protect our network resources.
Now My VPN policy for ALL users, is when they sign on to the VPN they have a host check that verifies
1. Anti Virus Software is installed
2. The Machine signing in has been scanned for viruses within the last 3 days prior to sign in.
3. The AV software is updated with the latest updates.
If all 3 pass, (plus their RSA Key and their Digital Certificate) then they can sign in,
If not, they go to download it.
This is just common sense in my opinion, and good practice for those of us that are short staffed and need to protect our network resources.

vartanarsen
Apr 18, 03:36 PM
Wow. Any breakdowns of what patents Samsung are allegedly infringing on that our local patent experts can give some insight into?
probably the use of Capacative technologies over resistive (less desireable)
probably the use of Capacative technologies over resistive (less desireable)
kre62
Apr 18, 04:13 PM
Call me crazy, but I think this might lend creedence to the thought that iPhone 5 will come out this summer...
How are these connected?
Well I've been thinking that Apple really wants to show the world, investors, etc, that it can still keep secrets after the i4 debacle last year. I think its possible they have changed suppliers in an atempt to stop the leaks. They might also be fueling the disinformation campaign that puts the 5 in October.
The fact that they are now suing Samsung, and waited this long, might give validity to this theory, as they did not want to sue them while Sammy was still a key supplier for them.
Something to think about.
How are these connected?
Well I've been thinking that Apple really wants to show the world, investors, etc, that it can still keep secrets after the i4 debacle last year. I think its possible they have changed suppliers in an atempt to stop the leaks. They might also be fueling the disinformation campaign that puts the 5 in October.
The fact that they are now suing Samsung, and waited this long, might give validity to this theory, as they did not want to sue them while Sammy was still a key supplier for them.
Something to think about.
KingYaba
Sep 16, 06:00 PM
It's always the next "event" apple holds. Oh, I swear it's coming! I just know it! That powerbook g5 is coming, I can smell it. :p
ten-oak-druid
Apr 18, 03:19 PM
If Apple cannot beat them....they sue them. Way to go Apple, you are devoid of morals and innovation.
When can we officially say that Apple is now the New Microsoft?
Not at all. But nice try.
When can we officially say that Apple is now the New Microsoft?
Not at all. But nice try.
Chundles
Sep 11, 01:00 AM
Common mate, the Gong isn't a city ;)
I get ~8000kbps so Movie downloads works for me - if the price and quality and DRM are right.
I totally agree - the Gong isn't a city, it's just a big ex-steel town with no redeeming features other than some nice beaches. I'm serious.
Trust me, if I could get 24mbps ADSL2+ I'd be screaming from the highest peak in the land (actually, Kosci's not that high, let's go "highest peak in Australian sovereign territory" - leave out Antarctica because not everyone recognises our claims there - and go with Mt. Mawson on Heard Island.) for Apple to bring movies and iPhoto photobooks and TV shows and all the whizz-bang stuff to the wide brown land.
For now however, I'll simply rise and give a "standing meh."
For those of you who don't know what a "standing meh" is, it's like a standing ovation only expressing total disinterest.
EDIT - And don't say "Common" when you mean "Come on."
I get ~8000kbps so Movie downloads works for me - if the price and quality and DRM are right.
I totally agree - the Gong isn't a city, it's just a big ex-steel town with no redeeming features other than some nice beaches. I'm serious.
Trust me, if I could get 24mbps ADSL2+ I'd be screaming from the highest peak in the land (actually, Kosci's not that high, let's go "highest peak in Australian sovereign territory" - leave out Antarctica because not everyone recognises our claims there - and go with Mt. Mawson on Heard Island.) for Apple to bring movies and iPhoto photobooks and TV shows and all the whizz-bang stuff to the wide brown land.
For now however, I'll simply rise and give a "standing meh."
For those of you who don't know what a "standing meh" is, it's like a standing ovation only expressing total disinterest.
EDIT - And don't say "Common" when you mean "Come on."
davisjw
Aug 7, 05:43 PM
Time to sell the wife and kids...
johnqh
Mar 29, 04:41 PM
Most people here are missing the big picture. I'm pretty old and have witnessed the changes in the tech sector. Back in '01 a lot of laptops were made or at least assembled in the USA, and they were quality products, but with cheap foreign labor most global companies could not resist the couple of percent they could add to their profit margins by moving overseas. The company I worked for made laptops for a major name, but they closed the plant here to save between 3.00 and 6.00 dollars per unit, a very small percentage of the overall value. A company like Apple could easily, make and assemble products here, the profit margin on an iPhone is around 60%, but if they did that then there profit margin would only be 50%, corporate and political greed. There are companies here, that still compete, an example, American Apparel (http://americanapparel.net/), they manufacture clothing here competitively in a huge operation in California with good paying jobs and great quality. There are many others, it is all about balancing automation with traditional production, but it's impossible for anyone to compete with slave wages from companies like Foxconn.
The cost for final assembly is minor.
For example, the cost to make an iPhone may be 200 dollars. It probably costs $1 for the final assembly (or by your calculation, $7 if the assembly is done in US). However, if you manufacture all the parts in US, it will cost $1400.
The cost for final assembly is minor.
For example, the cost to make an iPhone may be 200 dollars. It probably costs $1 for the final assembly (or by your calculation, $7 if the assembly is done in US). However, if you manufacture all the parts in US, it will cost $1400.
kev0476
Jul 30, 12:52 AM
That is pure, Apple style right there. Of course, I don't picture this phone being a flip phones. I believe (and hope) flip phones are on their way out. They were a fad, but aren't as practical as candy bar phones. They have more moving parts that can break and take longer to answer, especially if your hands are full or you're driving your car. (All you flip-phone people out there, before you start lashing out in defense, just accept those statements as truth, because you know they are.) Nothing beats hearing your phone, looking down, and pushing a button to start talking. As far as accidently calling people, I lock my phone with the push of a button and don't have any problems.
One thing about flip phones, they don't get nearly as much screen damage, which apple is known with having some problems with. and for answering, you just flip it open, how hard is that? and flip phones can have a much larger screen. and with all those people bitching about how low the screen resolution is, it may be the way to go.
Only problem with my flip-phone, battery life is crap.
One thing about flip phones, they don't get nearly as much screen damage, which apple is known with having some problems with. and for answering, you just flip it open, how hard is that? and flip phones can have a much larger screen. and with all those people bitching about how low the screen resolution is, it may be the way to go.
Only problem with my flip-phone, battery life is crap.
macintoshi
Mar 30, 01:17 AM
Hard for me, even as an Apple fan, to weep too much for a company that chooses to do business overseas isntead of here in America, employing Americans.
Hopefully the situation in Japan improves -- for reasons beyond this.
What does that mean, that we europeans have no right to get it at almost same time cause of disgracedfull people like you?
You got the iPad before us, first of all!
Second is, we have right, also to get it!
Third, Apple now is international!!!
So please stop pushing us more down as you are, cause your ass stinks same as all others!
All have right, to get an iPad everywere and at the same Time!
Wanted just to say this.
Hopefully the situation in Japan improves -- for reasons beyond this.
What does that mean, that we europeans have no right to get it at almost same time cause of disgracedfull people like you?
You got the iPad before us, first of all!
Second is, we have right, also to get it!
Third, Apple now is international!!!
So please stop pushing us more down as you are, cause your ass stinks same as all others!
All have right, to get an iPad everywere and at the same Time!
Wanted just to say this.