danz1123
Jun 11, 11:21 AM
Anyone know if I place a preorder on the 19th what the chances are I'll be able to make a reservation for the 24th?
ferguldy
Jul 27, 09:49 AM
So are we really going to get ALL of these new toys come WWDC? Leopard preview, Merom laptops, Core2/Woodcrest Mac Pros, Core2 Imacs (oh, and maybe a movie download add to iTunes) That sounds like an awful lot of stuff to cover in such a short period of time. What do people think about timelines for introduction here?

SevenInchScrew
Aug 18, 10:14 PM
OK, relating to my earlier posts, after seeing this picture, my expectations of the actual driving and racing in the game are now at a stratospheric level. Having 200 cars with this level of detail is great, but I hope the actual on-track experience has increased as much, if not more. Fingers crossed.... tightly.
{Click to huge-size}
http://i38.tinypic.com/2s7u992.jpg
{Click to huge-size}
http://i38.tinypic.com/2s7u992.jpg

Quahog
Apr 8, 07:53 AM
I work at Best Buy, and I can tell you this "rumor" is not true.
First, we do not have daily quotas on iPad sales, although we do have overall budget goals as any company would. iPads had no impact on this.
iPad 2's have been extremely hard to keep in stock, and at least for my store and all the stores in my region, they would sell out within hours of receiving a pretty good sized shipment. (Although the Verizon ones dont sell as well as others, they still sell out too) We did not hold anything back... do you think we like the hundreds of calls and dozens of people asking us if we have any in stock? We took care of every customer we could. In checking inventory levels at other stores, it was zero's all the way down the list.
We are experiencing inventory issues with the iPad. Be it simple unexpected demand, the earthquake in Japan, or Apple wanting to take care of customers through their website and retail store before big box stores... I dont know. But stores certainly are not sitting on them.
First, we do not have daily quotas on iPad sales, although we do have overall budget goals as any company would. iPads had no impact on this.
iPad 2's have been extremely hard to keep in stock, and at least for my store and all the stores in my region, they would sell out within hours of receiving a pretty good sized shipment. (Although the Verizon ones dont sell as well as others, they still sell out too) We did not hold anything back... do you think we like the hundreds of calls and dozens of people asking us if we have any in stock? We took care of every customer we could. In checking inventory levels at other stores, it was zero's all the way down the list.
We are experiencing inventory issues with the iPad. Be it simple unexpected demand, the earthquake in Japan, or Apple wanting to take care of customers through their website and retail store before big box stores... I dont know. But stores certainly are not sitting on them.
Eidorian
Aug 27, 09:50 AM
Are you sure that discount applies to the NEW Merom based Macs - I don't think so?The Mac Pro was added into the Major In Mac promo. Considering it was released 2 months after the promo started.
pavetheforest
Sep 15, 09:44 PM
Dude I'm going to sell my dell.
joepunk
Apr 27, 10:33 AM
Scheisse (http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/27/obamas-long-form-birth-certificate-released/?hp)
Mr. Trump claimed credit for forcing Mr. Obama’s hand, saying that “I feel I’ve accomplished something really, really important.” But he said the document released Wednesday would have to be examined for authenticity.
On one hand I think releasing the full certificate should not have happened at this point in time as the dumb ass in the quote above is trying to take credit for forcing the release and only stupid, crazy, and racist people were asking birther questions. And now they all look sane and can claim sanity.
But, now that this long form certificate is out the President can say "Here is what you wanted and now can we move on with business" and if the birthers still question the certificate the President can show, point and claim that it was settled long ago.
Mr. Trump claimed credit for forcing Mr. Obama’s hand, saying that “I feel I’ve accomplished something really, really important.” But he said the document released Wednesday would have to be examined for authenticity.
On one hand I think releasing the full certificate should not have happened at this point in time as the dumb ass in the quote above is trying to take credit for forcing the release and only stupid, crazy, and racist people were asking birther questions. And now they all look sane and can claim sanity.
But, now that this long form certificate is out the President can say "Here is what you wanted and now can we move on with business" and if the birthers still question the certificate the President can show, point and claim that it was settled long ago.
jaksta
Mar 22, 01:19 PM
Lack of Flash support is the achilles heel of iPad. I hope Jobs gets off his high horse and relents.
dgree03
Apr 6, 03:48 PM
But hey, haven't you heard, Honeycomb is a real tablet OS. (Whatever the heck that means.)
Google must have used that line in a PowerPoint somewhere because I see it regurgitated verbatim on every single iPad vs. Honeycomb thread.
The Google brainwashing continues. ;)
What you and every other non-informed are missing is the Xoom lack of apps is a not really a con for 2 reason.
1. Unlike iOS, ALL APPS, in the android market scale to fit the 1280x800 screen. No x1 or x2 crap. So I can still ENJOY my facebooke app on a larger screen. Nothing is lost. "optimized for tablets" gives me the same information just with a different interface. So long has my twitter app or facebooke or squeezebox app scale so i can see all. I am a happy camper.
2. Unlike iOS i would argue that the xoom needs LESS apps to do functions that take iOS 3 or 4 apps to do. I dont need goodreader or the like because I have a native file system. I dont need skyfire because i have flash. I dont need to open in here, open in there. Every app can have access to each other...
Google must have used that line in a PowerPoint somewhere because I see it regurgitated verbatim on every single iPad vs. Honeycomb thread.
The Google brainwashing continues. ;)
What you and every other non-informed are missing is the Xoom lack of apps is a not really a con for 2 reason.
1. Unlike iOS, ALL APPS, in the android market scale to fit the 1280x800 screen. No x1 or x2 crap. So I can still ENJOY my facebooke app on a larger screen. Nothing is lost. "optimized for tablets" gives me the same information just with a different interface. So long has my twitter app or facebooke or squeezebox app scale so i can see all. I am a happy camper.
2. Unlike iOS i would argue that the xoom needs LESS apps to do functions that take iOS 3 or 4 apps to do. I dont need goodreader or the like because I have a native file system. I dont need skyfire because i have flash. I dont need to open in here, open in there. Every app can have access to each other...
Funkymonk
Apr 19, 01:37 PM
Couldn't Samsung just claim that the Galaxy S line is an evolution of the Samsung F700? Pretty strong argument for samsung.
sotorious
Apr 11, 01:49 PM
Is that source creditable. I was thinking of making the jump ship to an iphone try it out for a year, but the thought of waiting till june to get a phone was a killer in it self. Now waiting till October is def a no go. I already have my phone for a year and that is way to long just for looking at the same phone that whole time.
puuukeey
Aug 25, 08:55 PM
I recently had an amazing experience witha apple support. I gave up after an hour of calling around but my mother (god bless her soul) decided to make it her mission and spent a whopping nine hours over a period of two days on the phone with apple support. they finally figured out that the applestore had registered my apple care to someone elses computer.
apple did 2000 dollars worth of work for free on my G4 laptop.
apple did 2000 dollars worth of work for free on my G4 laptop.

AndroidfoLife
Apr 8, 01:06 AM
Best Buy is a strange store. It is the only place where you can be told a computer with an i3 and 8 gbs of ram is better then a MBP simply because it has a picture of an alien on it. Best Buys tech people are fun to talk to because they are normally so wrong and they are the reason for the stupid PC and Mac "Fanboy" arguements. When they want to sell a product they will do all that is in their power to do so.
If the store favors apple they will tell people that every single PC will get a virus and they will need to get really expensive anti-virus that needs to be updated five times a day. If the Store is Bias against apple then macs are incapable of doing PC things such as Word processing. Got to love Best Tards
If the store favors apple they will tell people that every single PC will get a virus and they will need to get really expensive anti-virus that needs to be updated five times a day. If the Store is Bias against apple then macs are incapable of doing PC things such as Word processing. Got to love Best Tards
leekohler
Feb 28, 09:24 PM
I do not know the cause, it appears scientists do not either. Since no one appears to know, what could you possibly have expected from me?
Well, then why do expect us to explain it to you? Why do you expect us to justify who we are? We are who we are and we have just as much to offer the world as you do. We have families, talents and love just like anyone else. Love is rare. Why would you deny that to two adults who truly care about each other? To me, that's sick and disgusting. Keep your religion to yourself. Wallow in it's BS as much as you want. But keep it out of our lives.
Well, then why do expect us to explain it to you? Why do you expect us to justify who we are? We are who we are and we have just as much to offer the world as you do. We have families, talents and love just like anyone else. Love is rare. Why would you deny that to two adults who truly care about each other? To me, that's sick and disgusting. Keep your religion to yourself. Wallow in it's BS as much as you want. But keep it out of our lives.
littleman23408
Dec 2, 03:03 PM
They kind of cant do more detailed damage to standard cars. Premium cars are modeled exactly right their real counterpart. Each body part is completely separate from the rest and can be torn off in a collision. Standard cars are one big mesh that can be dented, but not broken apart. In order to give the same level of damage to a standard car they'd have to update it to a premium model.
I've heard/read chatter that some patches will update some standard cars to premium, but i dont think i've seen anything official yet. Kaz is way too ambitious and had to cut a lot out of the game already. I expect he'll add it in as time goes on, as patches and not paid DLC.
Ah! I didn't realize that. Good to know!
I've heard/read chatter that some patches will update some standard cars to premium, but i dont think i've seen anything official yet. Kaz is way too ambitious and had to cut a lot out of the game already. I expect he'll add it in as time goes on, as patches and not paid DLC.
Ah! I didn't realize that. Good to know!
BrettJDeriso
Apr 7, 11:23 PM
I dropped by BB this morning to score an iPod Nano. After standing around the diplay for ten minutes with no assistance, I headed over to the cell phone section to find the nearest Blue shirt. Of course, she couldn't leave her section, so she agreed to page someone. The page went out over the P.A., and in the time it took me to walk back to the ipod case, two "window shoppers" had showed up and were conversing amongst themselves about the merchandise.
Naturally, the when the clerk arrived, not knowing which customer needed assistance, she addressed them first. When they politely declined her help, she hovered there and stared over there shoulder as they continued their conversation.
At that point, I politely interjected, "Excuse me, miss, I paged you." She gave me a sideways glance -the barest minimum of an acknowlegement- and snapped, "I'll be with you in a moment."
It was at that point I drove to the Apple Store a block over and completed the transaction where the sales staff practically threw themselves at me.
The moral of this story: Eff Best Buy. They don't deserve to carry Apple products. This headline literally made the whole episode worthwhile.
Naturally, the when the clerk arrived, not knowing which customer needed assistance, she addressed them first. When they politely declined her help, she hovered there and stared over there shoulder as they continued their conversation.
At that point, I politely interjected, "Excuse me, miss, I paged you." She gave me a sideways glance -the barest minimum of an acknowlegement- and snapped, "I'll be with you in a moment."
It was at that point I drove to the Apple Store a block over and completed the transaction where the sales staff practically threw themselves at me.
The moral of this story: Eff Best Buy. They don't deserve to carry Apple products. This headline literally made the whole episode worthwhile.

sososowhat
Sep 13, 09:50 AM
One could run a Folding@Home process on each core :D
myemosoul
Jun 14, 08:13 PM
Now they're saying white won't be available until later this summer. dammit, i wanted white!
http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/714102-exclusive-iphone-4-only-black-initially.html
http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/714102-exclusive-iphone-4-only-black-initially.html
rscharf
Apr 25, 02:36 PM
Obviously these know-nothings have not tried to "easily access" their supposed private tracking information on the iPhone.
FIRST, you cannot access it directly on the iPhone, you have to have access to the OSX (Mac) computer that the iPhone was synced with.
SECOND, you have to log onto said computer, download a specific application which may or may not work.
THIRD, if the app does not work, you have to find the specific subdirectory where the data is located, load a specific file into a text editor, identify the device, run a Python script to convert random strings, start terminal and cd into the subdirectory, run a command, then pipe it through grep, and finally run the results through some type of SQL database reader to get the CellLocation table.
I am sure that virtually all users can accomplish these tasks with ease, thus allowing the entire world access to this data.
What a crock of crap!
FIRST, you cannot access it directly on the iPhone, you have to have access to the OSX (Mac) computer that the iPhone was synced with.
SECOND, you have to log onto said computer, download a specific application which may or may not work.
THIRD, if the app does not work, you have to find the specific subdirectory where the data is located, load a specific file into a text editor, identify the device, run a Python script to convert random strings, start terminal and cd into the subdirectory, run a command, then pipe it through grep, and finally run the results through some type of SQL database reader to get the CellLocation table.
I am sure that virtually all users can accomplish these tasks with ease, thus allowing the entire world access to this data.
What a crock of crap!
Unspeaked
Aug 11, 11:14 AM
G5 iPhones next Tuesday.
jhedges3
Aug 11, 03:24 PM
First, what makes you think the cellusage is similar to internet????? Mind blowing step here.
Secondly, Europa has 291 million internet users; North america US&Canada 227 milion; Rest of the world 500 million
Hence europe would be close to 30% of the total market???? What about india??? Japan??? china??? come on you cant say jack *** from this statistics
World demographics are not the point. US consumers do not make their cell phone purchasing decisions based on signal standards in 'Europa' or elsewhere.
Secondly, Europa has 291 million internet users; North america US&Canada 227 milion; Rest of the world 500 million
Hence europe would be close to 30% of the total market???? What about india??? Japan??? china??? come on you cant say jack *** from this statistics
World demographics are not the point. US consumers do not make their cell phone purchasing decisions based on signal standards in 'Europa' or elsewhere.
Half Glass
Sep 13, 10:26 AM
Wow...a user upgradable Mac. Good stuff indeed.
I am anxiously awaiting better utilization of all the cores, but the ability to multitask without hiccups is still great for now!
--HG
I am anxiously awaiting better utilization of all the cores, but the ability to multitask without hiccups is still great for now!
--HG
Dicx
Nov 28, 07:55 PM
Was trying for a long time to find this article:
http://db.tidbits.com/article/8751
A good story of how Microsoft got screwed into paying the $1. Long story short, because of them not controlling a market for once and not having the largest publisher of music to get tunes from, Universal held MS's feet to the fire and said pay up or forget it.
Good read nonetheless.
http://db.tidbits.com/article/8751
A good story of how Microsoft got screwed into paying the $1. Long story short, because of them not controlling a market for once and not having the largest publisher of music to get tunes from, Universal held MS's feet to the fire and said pay up or forget it.
Good read nonetheless.
H. Flower
Apr 12, 11:40 AM
The insufficient content shouldn't pop up at random, or there is a bug. It pops up when there is insufficient content for a transition. Some transitions like crossfade are centered at the end/starting point of a clip. So it expands past/before this point, hence the need of additional content in the file.
I didn't know about that multicore issue with Compressor when launched directly from the timeline. I suspect an issue with your setup. Compressor does make good use of my 4 cores on mpeg2 and I never set up Qmaster.
I get "insufficient content" when my source isn't as long as my in and outs on the timeline, which can occur fairly often. I've used 5 other edit programs in my lifetime, and each one would lay the source on the timeline starting from the in point regardless. Thus, for all intents and purposes, the message is an error.
"Cannot split a dissolve" - again, not a problem in other suites. Yes, I know there is a dissolve there. Yes, I want the program to split it. I'm the editor :)
I didn't know about that multicore issue with Compressor when launched directly from the timeline. I suspect an issue with your setup. Compressor does make good use of my 4 cores on mpeg2 and I never set up Qmaster.
I get "insufficient content" when my source isn't as long as my in and outs on the timeline, which can occur fairly often. I've used 5 other edit programs in my lifetime, and each one would lay the source on the timeline starting from the in point regardless. Thus, for all intents and purposes, the message is an error.
"Cannot split a dissolve" - again, not a problem in other suites. Yes, I know there is a dissolve there. Yes, I want the program to split it. I'm the editor :)