yfile
Apr 24, 04:44 AM
No, it wouldn't. Please understand what Retina means ;) :
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/06/10/resolving-the-iphone-resolution/
For all we know, the 27" already is a Retina display. It depends on what distance you find normal sitting away from it.
Retina is clearly defined by minimum 300 px/in resolution, so distance from monitor there is nothing to do with. Sitting 10 meters from monitor don't transform your monitor to hiperRetina. Please...
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/06/10/resolving-the-iphone-resolution/
For all we know, the 27" already is a Retina display. It depends on what distance you find normal sitting away from it.
Retina is clearly defined by minimum 300 px/in resolution, so distance from monitor there is nothing to do with. Sitting 10 meters from monitor don't transform your monitor to hiperRetina. Please...
Spoony
Apr 26, 02:58 PM
Apple should offer all current blackberry subscribers 50 bucks off an iphone for a 6 month window and take RIMMS % of the pie.
That would really make it a two horse race with Windows and whoever else under 10%.
That would really make it a two horse race with Windows and whoever else under 10%.
ravenvii
May 3, 01:24 PM
is it possible for a fight to end with both monsters and heroes in the room? (this will depend on how you organize the HP/AP)
what happens next? another battle the next turn/round? can the heroes run? can the monster be re-located by the villain?
No. No. No.
can the healing treasure bring HP to be higher than the level (e.g, if i am level 3, with 1HP left, I am alone and I find the healing treasure, do i go to 3HP, to 6HP or is it like a flask that i can use in part and in part save/share later)?
No.
can the villain put traps in already explored rooms?
Yes.
would 'explore' also find secret doors if any?
Neat idea, but no. Maybe future games.
what happens next? another battle the next turn/round? can the heroes run? can the monster be re-located by the villain?
No. No. No.
can the healing treasure bring HP to be higher than the level (e.g, if i am level 3, with 1HP left, I am alone and I find the healing treasure, do i go to 3HP, to 6HP or is it like a flask that i can use in part and in part save/share later)?
No.
can the villain put traps in already explored rooms?
Yes.
would 'explore' also find secret doors if any?
Neat idea, but no. Maybe future games.
Satori
Apr 7, 09:32 AM
Shame - a bit of competition couldn't hurt iPad development.
Dr Kevorkian94
Apr 9, 06:15 PM
The answer is 288.
Back to 7th grade Math: Order of operations= PEMDAS
Parentheses first 9+3=12
Then division 48/2=24 because 24X2 is 48. Multiplication and division go together.
Then multiplication because they are next to each other. 24(12)=288
this is the only way to do it, why is there even an other answer?
Back to 7th grade Math: Order of operations= PEMDAS
Parentheses first 9+3=12
Then division 48/2=24 because 24X2 is 48. Multiplication and division go together.
Then multiplication because they are next to each other. 24(12)=288
this is the only way to do it, why is there even an other answer?
pyramid6
Sep 11, 03:12 PM
What rock are you living under?? A 5mb file is high end? Haha Why do you think the RIAA & MPAA are scared? It's soooooo easy to download music & movies illegally. Or look at YouTube, god knows how many 10mb videos are downloaded each second.
I haven't done ripping in a while, but decent encoding was about about 1Mb per minute for music, and the goal for a feature length movie was about 650Mb (The size of a CD ;)). Maybe they have gotten better, but you do realize a DVD is like 4.5Gb and it already is a lossy format?
650Mb movies are tolarable on a TV, but not a HD TV in my opinion. The few movies I did encode down, I was happy with 250Mb feature length movies at 320x200. Yes, I've been under a rock, but only for a couple years.
I haven't done ripping in a while, but decent encoding was about about 1Mb per minute for music, and the goal for a feature length movie was about 650Mb (The size of a CD ;)). Maybe they have gotten better, but you do realize a DVD is like 4.5Gb and it already is a lossy format?
650Mb movies are tolarable on a TV, but not a HD TV in my opinion. The few movies I did encode down, I was happy with 250Mb feature length movies at 320x200. Yes, I've been under a rock, but only for a couple years.
Minimum
Apr 24, 08:25 PM
I would love to see an ultra high-res display sold by Apple. If they sold a 4K display for 2 grand I would certainly bite. Couple an awesome 4K display with 2 next gen video cards and you have yourself the best gaming machine ever built.
I can't wait. :D
I can't wait. :D
tny
Nov 26, 10:36 PM
This can be done quite cheaply, if Apple doesn't use off the shelf PC components - which is why current tablet PCs are so expensive. An Intel ULV processor is not cheap.
Huh? COTS components are *always* cheaper than custom components.
Shame that Apple moved away from the PowerPC really, when it comes to applications such as this [snip] a 30GB 1.8" hard drive (same as iPod)
Yes, it's a shame that they moved away from the PowerPC, but it was pretty clear that IBM was going to put all its consumer-level processor research on the Cell, and the Cell would have been a whole different kettle of fish for Apple. However, I've been told that using my iPod as a boot drive with any kind of regularity is a bad idea - that the 1.8 inch drives aren't sturdy enough for that kind of constant wear. For flash memory, you get all the reads you want, and the write limits are comparable to a hard drive. I also think that you'd want to use separate non-flash volatile RAM (integrated video would use the RAM as well as running applications), and not just use flash for working memory.
Huh? COTS components are *always* cheaper than custom components.
Shame that Apple moved away from the PowerPC really, when it comes to applications such as this [snip] a 30GB 1.8" hard drive (same as iPod)
Yes, it's a shame that they moved away from the PowerPC, but it was pretty clear that IBM was going to put all its consumer-level processor research on the Cell, and the Cell would have been a whole different kettle of fish for Apple. However, I've been told that using my iPod as a boot drive with any kind of regularity is a bad idea - that the 1.8 inch drives aren't sturdy enough for that kind of constant wear. For flash memory, you get all the reads you want, and the write limits are comparable to a hard drive. I also think that you'd want to use separate non-flash volatile RAM (integrated video would use the RAM as well as running applications), and not just use flash for working memory.
IntelliUser
Nov 17, 04:26 PM
ESET Cybersecurity for Mac
http://www.eset.com/home/cybersecurity-for-mac
�*unless I'm missing something, no on-access scanning
ESET Cybersecurity adds an extra layer of detection to OS X Internet security features:
Blocks any attempts to infect your Mac or steal your personal information.
Eliminates threats to your Mac from email and removable media, such as USB, FireWire, CDs, and DVDs.
Protects your Mac from malicious third party applications.
It's pretty much a full-featured NOD32 for Mac.
http://www.eset.com/home/cybersecurity-for-mac
�*unless I'm missing something, no on-access scanning
ESET Cybersecurity adds an extra layer of detection to OS X Internet security features:
Blocks any attempts to infect your Mac or steal your personal information.
Eliminates threats to your Mac from email and removable media, such as USB, FireWire, CDs, and DVDs.
Protects your Mac from malicious third party applications.
It's pretty much a full-featured NOD32 for Mac.

Sky Blue
Sep 11, 09:44 AM
If they add the "album only" feature to *All* Radiohead's songs, more bands will follow. Mostly for marketing reasons. There are lots of those crappy "Radiohead wannabes - ohhhhhh our songs should not be outside their album":mad:
Now, I can't wait for tomorrow's event!
I think Radiohead is a good beat for iTunes when their new album is out. They've just signed a new deal.
Now, I can't wait for tomorrow's event!
I think Radiohead is a good beat for iTunes when their new album is out. They've just signed a new deal.

MythicFrost
Apr 26, 02:54 AM
iPad 2 not being retina is not a good example when talking about desktops. First, there are no battery issues to deal with for a desktop. Second, there heat issues but less so since the screen isn't held in your hand. And third, you can raise costs if you are talking about a high end screen to attach to your high end Mac Pro. Apple can target the "money is no object crowd" with some of its offerings. Apple sells $1,000 displays already and I'm not sure that they couldn't sell a $2,000 retina level display. I'd consider it. Yeah it would be a lot of money but I would expect the screen to last five years and I use my computer everyday. Would I spend about a dollar a day to have retina on a 27" screen? I'd at least consider it.
That said, I don't know if the technology is there yet. Could a current Mac Pro run a retina screen without a hiccup? I'd still 60 FPS on Crysis. :p
Interestingly enough, there should be no more power drain nor heat produced on an iPad with a retina display than there is without.
I also remember reading an article a while ago that pinned a 2048x1536 retina display for the iPad at ~3x the current iPad's display price. Although, I'm not sure if it was real or not, I think it was though.
That said, I don't know if the technology is there yet. Could a current Mac Pro run a retina screen without a hiccup? I'd still 60 FPS on Crysis. :p
Interestingly enough, there should be no more power drain nor heat produced on an iPad with a retina display than there is without.
I also remember reading an article a while ago that pinned a 2048x1536 retina display for the iPad at ~3x the current iPad's display price. Although, I'm not sure if it was real or not, I think it was though.
Elijahg
Apr 23, 07:09 PM
No one is saying photos should be changed to vector based art. Looking at my dock right now, nothing is a photo, it's all cartoony images that when converted to vector art (something again, KDE did 10 years ago) isn't much bigger than JPEGs or PNGs when saved as SVG.
They use a lot more CPU time to process though. A JPG can be quickly converted to a bitmap and sent off to the GPU, a vector image has to be rendered before conversion to bitmap. Just imagine moving your mouse over the Dock with magnification on, each icon would need to be re-rendered for every time the mouse moved one pixel. With bitmaps, it's all done by the GPU. When there're hundreds of icons on display at once, that will probably become quite CPU intensive. I'm not surprised KDE supported it, it's open source, and we all know Linux is the king of feature creep.
You said yourself that wallpapers should be vector graphics. And by that, I presumed you meant the background in the subject of the thread. Safari supports SVG, but imo, it's not really a big thing that there's no support for it as a wallpaper. It's not the first thing people think of when they list Snow Leopard's shortcomings :P
They use a lot more CPU time to process though. A JPG can be quickly converted to a bitmap and sent off to the GPU, a vector image has to be rendered before conversion to bitmap. Just imagine moving your mouse over the Dock with magnification on, each icon would need to be re-rendered for every time the mouse moved one pixel. With bitmaps, it's all done by the GPU. When there're hundreds of icons on display at once, that will probably become quite CPU intensive. I'm not surprised KDE supported it, it's open source, and we all know Linux is the king of feature creep.
You said yourself that wallpapers should be vector graphics. And by that, I presumed you meant the background in the subject of the thread. Safari supports SVG, but imo, it's not really a big thing that there's no support for it as a wallpaper. It's not the first thing people think of when they list Snow Leopard's shortcomings :P
mlrproducts
Aug 11, 09:33 AM
NO!!!! I'm broke and have the midrange MB. I just cannot stand them releasing the much faster processor (IE: not just mhz increase) in my computer this soon! Also, with my luck they'd switch to an nvidia chip at the same time...
SteveRichardson
Aug 2, 11:30 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)
... with a 70% chance that at least one of the other Mac models could see a speed bump with use of the recently released Core 2 Duo processor...
Does he speculate there is a 100% chance that a current mac model will see a speed increase with a 70% chance that another model will see an increase as well, or that there is a 70% chance that one current model will see an increase with some unknown chance of another seeing an increase as well?
This could have been worded better.
... with a 70% chance that at least one of the other Mac models could see a speed bump with use of the recently released Core 2 Duo processor...
Does he speculate there is a 100% chance that a current mac model will see a speed increase with a 70% chance that another model will see an increase as well, or that there is a 70% chance that one current model will see an increase with some unknown chance of another seeing an increase as well?
This could have been worded better.
Eldiablojoe
May 4, 08:59 PM
I'm going to go wayyyyyy out on the proverbial limb here and suggest that since mscriv knows the full map at the outset of the game, that he's going to pretty much lay traps or monsters in each or every other room we enter- especially the ones where there is only one door for us to enter into another room.
Perhaps we should reconsider the splitting up or else we will be picked off one at a time.
Thoughts? I'm just musing out loud. I'm sure my darling Beatrice will correct me or tell me what my thoughts should be anyhow. :p
Perhaps we should reconsider the splitting up or else we will be picked off one at a time.
Thoughts? I'm just musing out loud. I'm sure my darling Beatrice will correct me or tell me what my thoughts should be anyhow. :p
*LTD*
Apr 25, 09:36 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)
So Steve was right. Apple doesn't actually track anyone.
So Steve was right. Apple doesn't actually track anyone.
fyre57lp
Nov 3, 10:01 AM
Yes, Since the gps/speaker are connected via bluetooth, they work independently from the tom tom app. Even google maps is faster.
product26
Apr 26, 02:31 PM
:P
Sent from my Nexus One
Sent from my Nexus One
amols
Aug 4, 01:34 PM
1 - I don't know what overheating you talk about, apart from some cases that have been dealt with under AppleCare;
2 - Apple has probably the best battery life of the industry for such a notebook range...and no, don't tell me about 10" microbooks;
3 - the SD thing is due to the thin enclosure, a clear design paradigm at Apple...nothing else.
1. If you check Apple's knowledge database or the manual that come with MBP, it actually says not to put this laptop on top of your lap, or it'll cause discomfort and potentially a burn with prolonged use. Now that's a new thing for a Powerbook or iBook user. Almost all the reviews of MBP state one con throughout, and thats the heat it dissipates. I own a MBP 2.16 Ghz and let me tell you it is very uncomforting to keep this on lap even through the clothing. Forget about using it in shorts unless you are in Alaska.
2. Less than three hours is not outstanding when you compare MBP to its predecessor and not PC notebooks.
3. The 17" MBP is as thin as 15.4". Why does it have faster D/L SD ??
2 - Apple has probably the best battery life of the industry for such a notebook range...and no, don't tell me about 10" microbooks;
3 - the SD thing is due to the thin enclosure, a clear design paradigm at Apple...nothing else.
1. If you check Apple's knowledge database or the manual that come with MBP, it actually says not to put this laptop on top of your lap, or it'll cause discomfort and potentially a burn with prolonged use. Now that's a new thing for a Powerbook or iBook user. Almost all the reviews of MBP state one con throughout, and thats the heat it dissipates. I own a MBP 2.16 Ghz and let me tell you it is very uncomforting to keep this on lap even through the clothing. Forget about using it in shorts unless you are in Alaska.
2. Less than three hours is not outstanding when you compare MBP to its predecessor and not PC notebooks.
3. The 17" MBP is as thin as 15.4". Why does it have faster D/L SD ??
0815
Apr 18, 03:33 PM
Does anyone know what exactly is at the center of the law suit ?
Pretty textbook case of biting the hand that feeds you here, even if Samsung business units are separated.
Yap, pretty much what I was thinking ....
Pretty textbook case of biting the hand that feeds you here, even if Samsung business units are separated.
Yap, pretty much what I was thinking ....
Drag'nGT
Apr 23, 05:55 PM
This is where Apple is headed and boy do I like that fact :)
A few of my friends just don't get it until they see what I'm talking about. Example, my friend swore his 32" 1080p HDTV gave him all this 'real estate' until I showed him the 27" iMac.
I hope there's higher resolutions coming.
A few of my friends just don't get it until they see what I'm talking about. Example, my friend swore his 32" 1080p HDTV gave him all this 'real estate' until I showed him the 27" iMac.
I hope there's higher resolutions coming.
Mister Snitch
Apr 5, 02:47 PM
Hey, Toyota HAD to pull the plug. Rumor has it that Apple was going to counter with a 'hijack a Toyota' campaign!
wizard
Mar 29, 03:55 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)
What a stupid statement. Are you aware that Apple is an American company? So is Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Oracle, Cisco, GE and other world-leading companies.
What's your alternative? Can you even name more than one world-class Chinese company?
*rolls eyes*
Yeah buddy I am. Are you aware that on every Apple Device it says "DESIGNED IN CALIFORNIA, ASSEMBLED IN CHINA."
There is a reason we do not build these products and it has been well covered through this thread. Can you name any good products made by those companies that you mentioned, that are actually built in the US. You know America SUCKS at making products when we need the media to convince us of this fact. Just watch TV, you do not see Apple advertising that they make there products in China, but you do see a bunch of other companies that slap a "Made in the USA" label gain Patriot approval. I avoid those products and save my money for products that have better quality; I dont innately hate american products, but experience has proved that they are inferior to build qualities of other nations. :apple::D
You really don't know what you are talking about. Many American businesses are world class. That doesn't include 2/3rds of the American auto industry sadly but GM made a management decision to sell crap and Chrysler never did sell anything of quality. However just because one industry is less than stellar it doesn't mean all are.
I'm not sure where you are on this planet but where I'm at we export a great deal of stuff to the rest of the world. Some of it even consumer level.
A wise person shops with an open mind. You seem to have closed yours and thus send all your dollars over seas. Sad really.
What a stupid statement. Are you aware that Apple is an American company? So is Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Oracle, Cisco, GE and other world-leading companies.
What's your alternative? Can you even name more than one world-class Chinese company?
*rolls eyes*
Yeah buddy I am. Are you aware that on every Apple Device it says "DESIGNED IN CALIFORNIA, ASSEMBLED IN CHINA."
There is a reason we do not build these products and it has been well covered through this thread. Can you name any good products made by those companies that you mentioned, that are actually built in the US. You know America SUCKS at making products when we need the media to convince us of this fact. Just watch TV, you do not see Apple advertising that they make there products in China, but you do see a bunch of other companies that slap a "Made in the USA" label gain Patriot approval. I avoid those products and save my money for products that have better quality; I dont innately hate american products, but experience has proved that they are inferior to build qualities of other nations. :apple::D
You really don't know what you are talking about. Many American businesses are world class. That doesn't include 2/3rds of the American auto industry sadly but GM made a management decision to sell crap and Chrysler never did sell anything of quality. However just because one industry is less than stellar it doesn't mean all are.
I'm not sure where you are on this planet but where I'm at we export a great deal of stuff to the rest of the world. Some of it even consumer level.
A wise person shops with an open mind. You seem to have closed yours and thus send all your dollars over seas. Sad really.
balamw
Apr 11, 08:28 AM
If someone in my group had sent me a quick email with this equation I would expect to see-
(48/2)(9+3) or 48/[2(9+3)]
This is even more important when the equations I was using were a lot more complex!
Step back a bit. Someone in your group would actually send you an expression that was full of constant numbers rather than reducing that to the answer?
As s a physicist by training I hate it when the meaning is bled out of an expression, by rote plugging in of numbers. Engineers love to do this kind of thing and take a perfectly nice equation, lump a bunch of stuff together and take a few implied logs for good measure and think it still has meaning. :p
I'd expect anyone who knows what they are doing to send something like x/y(a+b) rather than 48/2(9+3). Preferably with an extra pair of parens/brackets to improve clarity. Or send you TeX $\frac{x}{y}(a+b)$ or even code if this was a numerical exercise. This would assist in your sanity checking if, for example, you saw that x was a distance, y was a time and a and b were also times and you knew the expected answer was a distance you'd know that (x/y)*(a+b) was meant. If you were looking for acceleration you might go back to the author and ask, "did you mean (x/[y*(a+b)])?" instead of taking the original expression at its face value.
In the absence of context and any other information the answer is 288.
B
(48/2)(9+3) or 48/[2(9+3)]
This is even more important when the equations I was using were a lot more complex!
Step back a bit. Someone in your group would actually send you an expression that was full of constant numbers rather than reducing that to the answer?
As s a physicist by training I hate it when the meaning is bled out of an expression, by rote plugging in of numbers. Engineers love to do this kind of thing and take a perfectly nice equation, lump a bunch of stuff together and take a few implied logs for good measure and think it still has meaning. :p
I'd expect anyone who knows what they are doing to send something like x/y(a+b) rather than 48/2(9+3). Preferably with an extra pair of parens/brackets to improve clarity. Or send you TeX $\frac{x}{y}(a+b)$ or even code if this was a numerical exercise. This would assist in your sanity checking if, for example, you saw that x was a distance, y was a time and a and b were also times and you knew the expected answer was a distance you'd know that (x/y)*(a+b) was meant. If you were looking for acceleration you might go back to the author and ask, "did you mean (x/[y*(a+b)])?" instead of taking the original expression at its face value.
In the absence of context and any other information the answer is 288.
B