eric_n_dfw
Aug 7, 01:52 PM
Excellent. Now it's time to wait for the sub-$2000 "Pro" desktop announcement. There's a suspicious gap in their lineup. Mac Pro Cube (http://macprocube.com), perhaps?
I was thinking exactly the same thing. (although the Mac Pro is VERY tempting right now.)
I was thinking exactly the same thing. (although the Mac Pro is VERY tempting right now.)
AtHomeBoy_2000
Jul 30, 09:10 AM
They wouldn't have to do that. You know ESPN Mobile, Boost Mobile, and AMP'd mobile? They are all "virtual" networks that lease bandwidth from other providers who actually have a physical network. These "virtual" wireless companies are called MVNOs. Apple could become an MVNO (and it has been rumored in the past that would do so), so that they could offer all the features they want, and ensure a consistent experience across the entire user base.
How successful are MVNOs? Last I heard ESPN and Disney mobile are rumored to be shutting down due to low subscriber numbers.
How successful are MVNOs? Last I heard ESPN and Disney mobile are rumored to be shutting down due to low subscriber numbers.
lilo777
Apr 18, 04:11 PM
Perhaps you need to actually look at an iPhone 3GS and a Galaxy Tab sometime.
http://www.coated.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-back.jpg
http://phonerpt.com/wp-content/uploads/iphone-3g-white-live-picture.jpg
Also consider these designs:
http://common1.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/90/0,1425,i=90858,00.jpg
http://www.promo-wholesale.com/Upfiles/Prod_m/Travel-Soap-Dish-W--Frosty-Top_20090828015.jpg
http://www.coated.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-back.jpg
http://phonerpt.com/wp-content/uploads/iphone-3g-white-live-picture.jpg
Also consider these designs:
http://common1.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/90/0,1425,i=90858,00.jpg
http://www.promo-wholesale.com/Upfiles/Prod_m/Travel-Soap-Dish-W--Frosty-Top_20090828015.jpg
iApples
Mar 26, 11:48 PM
True, they got tons of them comming out.
They might be cheaper but some of them do have better hardware specs but when it comes to the OS and the way it runs everything they sure are crappy and cant compete with the iOS.
It's actually pretty sad that Android does not have the majority of the market.. They have new phones being released every other week. A 'newer and better' than last weeks. They make their phones go obsolete faster than anything I've ever seen. They released the Nexus One and that was suppose to be their amazing device... Is that even around anymore? Pretty sure like a month later they had a better one out.
Apple has released 4 iPhone's. Android has released more in a months time... And Apple STILL owns the market. They should really be ashamed. Maybe if they actually spent their time working on ONE great device and released it every like 8 months or even every year.. then maybe I could see potential. I refuse to buy an Android device because I know a week later my brand new phone will be old news.
They might be cheaper but some of them do have better hardware specs but when it comes to the OS and the way it runs everything they sure are crappy and cant compete with the iOS.
It's actually pretty sad that Android does not have the majority of the market.. They have new phones being released every other week. A 'newer and better' than last weeks. They make their phones go obsolete faster than anything I've ever seen. They released the Nexus One and that was suppose to be their amazing device... Is that even around anymore? Pretty sure like a month later they had a better one out.
Apple has released 4 iPhone's. Android has released more in a months time... And Apple STILL owns the market. They should really be ashamed. Maybe if they actually spent their time working on ONE great device and released it every like 8 months or even every year.. then maybe I could see potential. I refuse to buy an Android device because I know a week later my brand new phone will be old news.
Al Coholic
Apr 7, 12:48 PM
I see people still don�t understand what a monopoly is.And I see people are still taking the word monopoly used here too literally.
Yeah, we know what a real monopoly is. Thanks.
And here in the U.S. It generally starts with a company getting too much of the market and stifling out the competition. That's why there's the FTC.
Yeah, we know what a real monopoly is. Thanks.
And here in the U.S. It generally starts with a company getting too much of the market and stifling out the competition. That's why there's the FTC.

daneoni
Mar 28, 09:51 AM
The iPhone 4 is already dated relative to other phones on the market. To have a phone on the market for 18 months without an update is insane.
Why because it doesn't have a dual core processor, 1GB of RAM and a 3D screen with 5G radio?
Why because it doesn't have a dual core processor, 1GB of RAM and a 3D screen with 5G radio?
milo
Aug 11, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't say it would be anything noticable!
Probably make the low end one a 1.66 Duo and the top one a 1.8 or 2.0 Duo
Doubling the cores would certianly be noticable on the low end! And even a modest bump is better than no bump for a year. But I still think a bigger bump than that is likely, chances of something like a merom on the high end are pretty good.
Probably make the low end one a 1.66 Duo and the top one a 1.8 or 2.0 Duo
Doubling the cores would certianly be noticable on the low end! And even a modest bump is better than no bump for a year. But I still think a bigger bump than that is likely, chances of something like a merom on the high end are pretty good.
BRLawyer
Aug 7, 04:38 PM
And there are still people looking for a "minitower" Mac...can't we put this rumor to rest???
Headless/minitower Mac = PowerBook G5
Headless/minitower Mac = PowerBook G5

ticman
Dec 3, 12:09 PM
Jape,
did you ever hear back from BLT??
I have heard nothing but didn't send email to them. Will do that today.
did you ever hear back from BLT??
I have heard nothing but didn't send email to them. Will do that today.
ovrlrd
Mar 30, 07:17 PM
Anyone downloading and installing on an MBA?
Wondering about trim support.
TRIM support was in the previous build as well so there is no reason for it not to be there still unless there was a major bug (doubt it).
Wondering about trim support.
TRIM support was in the previous build as well so there is no reason for it not to be there still unless there was a major bug (doubt it).
Piggie
May 6, 07:14 AM
Why so negative on this news?
As has been said, time and time again, the consumers Apple are tar targeting don't care what's in the box. If the on-screen "user experience" is great then it matters not one jot what brand of CPU or any other parts Apple decides to use.
It's like having a great car and getting upset about the manufacturer of the engine components. This type of consumer does not care.
It works, it looks great, I'm happy.
As has been said, time and time again, the consumers Apple are tar targeting don't care what's in the box. If the on-screen "user experience" is great then it matters not one jot what brand of CPU or any other parts Apple decides to use.
It's like having a great car and getting upset about the manufacturer of the engine components. This type of consumer does not care.
It works, it looks great, I'm happy.
nuckinfutz
May 7, 12:32 PM
I joined Mobile Me (.Mac) in 2003 and haven't looked back.
What I like:
1. Amazing SPAM filtering (less than 25 SPAM emails since 2003)
2. Keychain sync between my 3 Macs
3. Calendar sync between my iPhone / Mac
4. Bookmark sync between my iPhone / Mac
5. Preferences sync between my 3 Macs
6. Secure iChats
7. Disposable email aliases
8. Find my iPhone / Remote wipe (could be very handy)
What I don't like:
1. iDisk whenever I have used is painfully slow and unreliable
2. iPhoto album publish is slow and unreliable
3. Price
Just my opinion and I intend to pay again this year if it's not free, if it is free I hope they maintain the good points and improve the bad points.
mrzippy you bring up a great point. I've only got one Mac so my sync is generally going to my iPhone and iPad. If you've got a couple of Macs then
Keychain sync
Pref sync
Dock items sync
Would be a godsend. In fact I am getting a second Mac soon and thus I will enable those features to be sync'd.
What I like:
1. Amazing SPAM filtering (less than 25 SPAM emails since 2003)
2. Keychain sync between my 3 Macs
3. Calendar sync between my iPhone / Mac
4. Bookmark sync between my iPhone / Mac
5. Preferences sync between my 3 Macs
6. Secure iChats
7. Disposable email aliases
8. Find my iPhone / Remote wipe (could be very handy)
What I don't like:
1. iDisk whenever I have used is painfully slow and unreliable
2. iPhoto album publish is slow and unreliable
3. Price
Just my opinion and I intend to pay again this year if it's not free, if it is free I hope they maintain the good points and improve the bad points.
mrzippy you bring up a great point. I've only got one Mac so my sync is generally going to my iPhone and iPad. If you've got a couple of Macs then
Keychain sync
Pref sync
Dock items sync
Would be a godsend. In fact I am getting a second Mac soon and thus I will enable those features to be sync'd.
marksman
Mar 29, 05:43 PM
God hates us listening to music.
b!temark
May 4, 03:43 PM
It's good to see the debate on the best delivery mechanism for large software releases such as this; there are clearly benefits for Apple to push it through the infrastructure they already have in place.
In my opinion, this is just another nail in the coffin for Apple resellers. Not content with giving single-digit margins on hardware, Apple is now actively removing another method of generating revenue. Software has better reseller margins (~15-20%) than hardware, but Apple's progress with the App store has seen key applications (iWork, iLife) on there for a substantial discount.
There are no reseller/affiliate arrangements for the App store, and resellers can't compete with their discount offerings (as Apple set both wholesale and retail pricing). As a result, resellers business will be affected, and continue to be affected if they continue down this path.
</rant>
*Disclaimer: I'm an Apple reseller
In my opinion, this is just another nail in the coffin for Apple resellers. Not content with giving single-digit margins on hardware, Apple is now actively removing another method of generating revenue. Software has better reseller margins (~15-20%) than hardware, but Apple's progress with the App store has seen key applications (iWork, iLife) on there for a substantial discount.
There are no reseller/affiliate arrangements for the App store, and resellers can't compete with their discount offerings (as Apple set both wholesale and retail pricing). As a result, resellers business will be affected, and continue to be affected if they continue down this path.
</rant>
*Disclaimer: I'm an Apple reseller
MattSepeta
Apr 14, 04:17 PM
I never thought I'd see the day, but I agree with you. Everyone has to see a tax increase in order to solve the budget problems.
The non-tax accountant part of me (the tax accountant part of me wants the tax code as complicated as humanly possible) would love it if the corporate tax code was simplified and the tax rates reduced so that corporations actually paid taxes in line with other nations - we'd still probably see more revenue even with the decreased rates because the base would be broadened and corporations would actually pay. We should probably broaden the tax base for individuals by eliminating deductions and then eliminate the Bush tax cuts for everyone (which will increase tax rates across the board, more so at the upper two brackets). I'm not opposed to adding a VAT with a low rate either.
I'd like to see plenty of spending cuts too - stop the three wasteful and pointless wars we are fighting would be a great start, then cut defense spending. Like it or not, I think we need to acknowledge that social security needs changes - a decrease in benefits and removing the limit on payroll taxes for social security would be a good start.
But then again, I'm a moderate (though I am generally fiscally libertarian) and I understand the urgency with which we need to eliminate our deficit and decrease our national debt. I don't have much hope for any of this happening, since neither side can seem to acknowledge that we need a combo of what they both propose.
Spot on. If we are going to raise taxes we should raise them on EVERYBODY. I would gladly take a hit if everyone else was going to.
We should also cut spending across the board. Cut spending on EVERYTHING.
No singling anybody/thing out, no exempting anybody/anything.
The non-tax accountant part of me (the tax accountant part of me wants the tax code as complicated as humanly possible) would love it if the corporate tax code was simplified and the tax rates reduced so that corporations actually paid taxes in line with other nations - we'd still probably see more revenue even with the decreased rates because the base would be broadened and corporations would actually pay. We should probably broaden the tax base for individuals by eliminating deductions and then eliminate the Bush tax cuts for everyone (which will increase tax rates across the board, more so at the upper two brackets). I'm not opposed to adding a VAT with a low rate either.
I'd like to see plenty of spending cuts too - stop the three wasteful and pointless wars we are fighting would be a great start, then cut defense spending. Like it or not, I think we need to acknowledge that social security needs changes - a decrease in benefits and removing the limit on payroll taxes for social security would be a good start.
But then again, I'm a moderate (though I am generally fiscally libertarian) and I understand the urgency with which we need to eliminate our deficit and decrease our national debt. I don't have much hope for any of this happening, since neither side can seem to acknowledge that we need a combo of what they both propose.
Spot on. If we are going to raise taxes we should raise them on EVERYBODY. I would gladly take a hit if everyone else was going to.
We should also cut spending across the board. Cut spending on EVERYTHING.
No singling anybody/thing out, no exempting anybody/anything.
msb3079
Apr 20, 02:03 PM
That's not "Calendar" summer, it is based on cycles of the sun, precisely, the solstices and equinoxes. ;)
It just so happens that the Fall equinox falls in mid-september while Summer solstice is on the 21st of June.
This is true the world over, it is not a "US thing".
I understand. And while most "go by" what you are saying... IMO, meteorological summer really matters the most. On September 15th... most people don't really think of it as still being summer. What I'm saying is, subconsciously (or maybe not) we tend to think in meteorological seasons as opposed to calendar seasons, even though we technically more follow calendar seasons.
That probably sounds confusing. Sorry.
It just so happens that the Fall equinox falls in mid-september while Summer solstice is on the 21st of June.
This is true the world over, it is not a "US thing".
I understand. And while most "go by" what you are saying... IMO, meteorological summer really matters the most. On September 15th... most people don't really think of it as still being summer. What I'm saying is, subconsciously (or maybe not) we tend to think in meteorological seasons as opposed to calendar seasons, even though we technically more follow calendar seasons.
That probably sounds confusing. Sorry.
suneohair
Sep 15, 04:20 PM
Sounds good. Hope it happens for those waiting for it.
I also hope the design is revamped i.e. magnetic latch etc.
Maybe an ACD update to boot?
I also hope the design is revamped i.e. magnetic latch etc.
Maybe an ACD update to boot?
outlawarth
Apr 20, 01:10 PM
All of these September iPhone rumors leave three possibilities:
1) Apple failed to plug all of its leaks and there are genuine sources providing this information, and as a result, the iPhone 5 will really be out in September.
2) Apple is intentionally testing the waters to not only see where remaining leaks are, but also to encourage iPhone 4 sales to not drop off during the late spring/early summer.
3) The original September rumor began from an untested source and spent enough time on the merry-go-round to be viewed as "legitimate" by larger media outlets.
I agree. While obviously all 3 are equally possible #2 and #3 seem most likely to me.
1) Apple failed to plug all of its leaks and there are genuine sources providing this information, and as a result, the iPhone 5 will really be out in September.
2) Apple is intentionally testing the waters to not only see where remaining leaks are, but also to encourage iPhone 4 sales to not drop off during the late spring/early summer.
3) The original September rumor began from an untested source and spent enough time on the merry-go-round to be viewed as "legitimate" by larger media outlets.
I agree. While obviously all 3 are equally possible #2 and #3 seem most likely to me.
kerryb
Apr 18, 03:45 PM
The OS, sure. Samsung made that look VERY close to iOS.
The product design at Apple, however is just reinterpreted stuff from Dieter Rams. Products that function well start to look similar for a reason, though. If it ain't broke....
http://www.errortype.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/rams.jpg
you forgot how much that green Android looks like the old Mac OS trash can.
The product design at Apple, however is just reinterpreted stuff from Dieter Rams. Products that function well start to look similar for a reason, though. If it ain't broke....
http://www.errortype.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/rams.jpg
you forgot how much that green Android looks like the old Mac OS trash can.
Multimedia
Aug 12, 03:09 AM
sorry if this is a stupid question, but i'm just asking. I just bought a mbp, and now that its too late, i was wondering if i could just pop in a merom processor into my mbp and upgrade the bios? Or is that not possible?No the processor is soldered to the motherboard directly not in a socket. You have up to 10 days to return it for refund minus a restocking fee. Or sell it right away for even less difference. You can also call Apple and beg a supervisor to let you return it if you're past 10 days. That's how all those refurbs wind up on the SAVE page. :)
Benjy91
May 6, 07:27 AM
I was about to say, "What?! And lose the Windows compatibility they bragged on so much with the Intel transition? You're kidding me!", then I remembered that Windows 8 is also rumored (confirmed?) to run on ARM.
This might actually happen..
Microsoft isnt switching over to just ARM. They're just making Windows compatible on ARM. For their Windows 8 Tablets most likely.
This might actually happen..
Microsoft isnt switching over to just ARM. They're just making Windows compatible on ARM. For their Windows 8 Tablets most likely.
pmz
May 4, 03:15 PM
Releasing on MAS is posible in some sort of .DMG, .IMG Image ready to burn on DVD or copy to USB Key, Look at Xcode 4 for example. Apple may put detailed instructions on how to do it on the MAS description page.
The question is: How Much?
$129 + tax
The question is: How Much?
$129 + tax
MacBoobsPro
Aug 2, 11:20 AM
What time is the QT stream likely to be uploaded at Apple.com?
BTW I know its not a live feed!
BTW I know its not a live feed!
Eidorian
Aug 11, 10:44 AM
Read the link, the chip on that link was a Conroe, not a Merom.
What exactly was wrong with what I posted?The link (http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=14564&GroupID=1674) that was posted was to a Conroe chip. mashinhead asked for third party upgrades for the the current Yonah based line here. #64 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2708950&postcount=64) emotion replied with this link #70 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2708988&postcount=70)
Conroe cannot fit into Yonah's socket.
What exactly was wrong with what I posted?The link (http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=14564&GroupID=1674) that was posted was to a Conroe chip. mashinhead asked for third party upgrades for the the current Yonah based line here. #64 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2708950&postcount=64) emotion replied with this link #70 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2708988&postcount=70)
Conroe cannot fit into Yonah's socket.