earth day activities for preschool

earth day activities for preschool. earth day activities for
  • earth day activities for



  • addicted44
    Mar 26, 01:15 AM
    About the only thing that I find disappointing about this release is the lack of a new filesystem.

    I am disappointed about this too. But I am not surprised. Apple's next filesystem was going to be ZFS. But Sun being purchased by Oracle has probably killed any chance of that happening.

    The newer Linux FS'es are just not stable enough at the point (or don't do things Apple has somehow managed to bake into HFS+, like the snapshots, and things like directory Hard Links, etc). I don't see Apple moving to any version of ReiserFS or ext#, so I think we are stuck with HFS+ and extensions/improvements of it, until the ZFS situation gets clearer.





    earth day activities for preschool. celebrated Earth Day by
  • celebrated Earth Day by



  • skippy-fluff
    Aug 25, 05:06 PM
    The battery recall validator also rejected my battery, which is clearly in the range advertised on the web site. When I called the support lines yesterday, they didn't even try to take the call. Today I got through, and I got told by "Rachel" that there were a small number of batteries in the ranges that were manufactured by someone other than Sony. She couldn't tell me who, and when I asked for further information, she escalated the call.

    The next guy, whose name I didn't catch, basically said the same thing. When I explained that I would like something from Apple indicating that the public listing on the recall didn't apply to me, he said that sometime in the future (unstated) this will get updated on the website. Since my primary reason for wanting it is to avoid potential airline troubles, that wasn't too great answer. His next suggestion, to print the validation failure, was funny, but not very practical. I fly about once a week, and I've already seen the dell guys being asked not to work on the plane. I don't want to be in that club, so I was pretty insistent that they write something down.

    I asked them to send me something (even by fax) that simply said that my battery was not subject to recall, despite the fact it fell into the consumer product safety commission recalled range and Apple announced range (still up, with no amendment, by at https://support.apple.com/ibook_powerbook/batteryexchange/index.html). He could not.

    I next got sent to Kelly, in customer service, whose attitude was about the least customer-service related of any of them. She tried to read out the web site to me, and got very frustrated when I pointed out that it did not say what she wanted it to say. It does not say that there are batteries in the ranges that are fine. It says at least twice that if you have a battery in the range you should send for a replacement and not use it. I pointed out to her that the trouble ticket I'd opened covered the ground nicely, and that all I wanted was a statement of the result: "Apple's support staff has worked with this customer and has established that the battery Serial No. XXXX is not subject to the recall on Sony-produced batteries". Or whatever language they like.
    She agreed that this was truth, but said she could not provide any documentation. She also declined to escalate further.

    Given that the validator has said no to people who should have gotten yes, relying on it as the last word is a bad idea. Get a real person on the phone. But even then, be prepared for frustration if you would like
    anything but an oral assurance that the battery you have is good.





    earth day activities for preschool. earth day activities for
  • earth day activities for



  • rtdunham
    Apr 27, 09:49 AM
    I'm old-fashined I guess because I have no interest in having a smartphone in the first place. I just have a standard flip-phone. By owning a smartphone, you are always going to be faced with privacy issues...

    Did you know dumb phones record every call you make? That they record who you call, and how long you talk to them? That when landlines are involved, nubmers are recorded that pinpoint the location? That your phone transmits that information to your phone company? Look at your next phone bill. Your standard flip phone even records who calls YOU and tells THAT to your phone company, too. AND if you lose your phone bill--as is the case if you lose your phone--all that data's available, in unencrypted form, to anyone and everyone!

    My take: Yeah, the data should've been encrypted, and prudence would have had it deleted after a short time. They're fixing that now. But it serves a purpose we all value, facilitating calling and optimizing location services when we want them. It's a glitch, nothing more, exaggerated by media attention (and i'm part of the media, so I'm not unfairly finger-pointing) just as happened with antenna-gate and the fuss over Toyotas accelerating out of control (where almost always the conclusion is someone put their foot on the accelerator instead of the brake, by mistake). Ten years from now someone will write an entertaining book about the gap between public hysteria and reality on these issues and many others (birtherism, anyone? or if your political views swing in a different way, government spending way beyond its means?)

    I'm not saying the location database is operator error. Clearly not. I'm just trying to keep it in perspective. (It's not time-stamped? It's accurate sometimes only to 50 or 81 miles, as in cases reported in this thread? My phone, using the data that's recorded, consistently puts me five miles from my home, in a different county, across a river, four or five cities away, due to some oddity of cell tower location).

    Look, your credit cards not only keep track of where you've been, but how much you spent there, and when, with precise geographic accuracy. Sometimes they even tell what you've bought. Just look at your next bill. Did you know your bank keeps track of every check you write, and to whom, and sends that information to you unencrypted via the mail? Did you know...

    I think we should keep this situation in perspective. Too many people here see the privacy sky falling on them, when they're really swimming in it. (Did you know the device you're using to read this doesn't protect you from being victimized by horrible unencrypted metaphors...?)





    earth day activities for preschool. earth day activities for
  • earth day activities for



  • Macaroony
    Mar 4, 03:53 AM
    CaoCao, could you please elaborate as to how gays could cause the collapse of society? I keep hearing that but I don't understand the sentiment behind it. And please, do not skirt around the answer, I always try to be as clear as day with mine.

    The only explanation I can come up with as to why you would see being gay and giving gays the same civil rights as the collapse of society is that it differs so much from your worldview, it causes your world to collapse to the point where you feel nothing but uncomfortable to live in such a society. In other words; if gays are treated equal under every law under the sun, your society would collapse.

    I often hear that same-sex marriage devalues marriage and threatens those that are already married. I wonder why and how. I doubt that your straight neighbor's happy marriage affects you at all unless you're so jealous, you want their marriage to be annulled - a happy same-sex couple must be killing you inside. I have said it here and in another thread before, marriage is nothing but a contract between two members of two families and the state to secure their fortune and legacy. Every attorney will tell you the same.

    I have to say, it's very exhausting coming up with a defense convincing enough for those that don't seem to follow the world by logic. I'm glad I'm not a lawyer because if law is like that all the time, I'd rather give up on it and live in exile.





    earth day activities for preschool. earth day activities for
  • earth day activities for



  • Chupa Chupa
    Apr 11, 06:05 AM
    I think the point is apple is trying to break the mold of traditional NLE editing. Many tools and terms we use in FCP and other NLEs are derived from linear tape editing from 20+ years ago. They are trying to push to the future of editing in a new direction and that may involve rethinking aspects of how we edit. Whether it's going to work or not I guess we'll have to see...

    Thank you.

    The funny thing is that most of the ranters here calling themselves "professionals" are really just hacks using professional grade equipment. They comfort themselves in the fact they use the same s/w (FCP) as many in the H'wood TV and movie studios (home of the true professionals), much like a kid with an Albert Pujois edition L'ville Slugger.

    I admit when iMovie '08 came out my head imploded. The entire concept seemed so ass-backwards after years with NLEs. I still don't like the "new" iMovie because its features pale in comparison of previous versions, which limits creativity. iMovie '09 and '11 have improved but are still too basic.

    I have warmed up to the editing concept. I actually like it now for a quick splice job. So if it turns out iMovie has really been the beta engine for the new FCP all along I'm OK with that. It's really a snappier, more organized way to edit once you divorce all previous notions of NLE editing. Of course I don't pretend to be a professional either.





    earth day activities for preschool. earth day activities for
  • earth day activities for



  • Unspeaked
    Nov 29, 01:08 PM
    I agree, they won�t go away anytime soon, but change is coming, and change will be good for artists and consumers, not for the record labels.

    Sorry for my weird grammar or mispells, I am not a native english speaker, I don�t have a spell checker on this computer (in english at least) and I am too lazy to proof read what I wrote lol :)

    Dude, I think you're right on, and your English is fine (better than some native English speakers who post here, in any case!).

    Distribution methods like iTunes make the middle men - the labels - obsolete. It puts artists on a level playing field and coupled with viral marketing like MySpace and such it really spells the end for record labels as we know them.

    If anything, all a "record label" might hope to be in the future is a marketing branch that works with an artists and takes a small cut of their sales, not the eight headed monster who controls ever aspect of an artists career - from where they record their album to what sizes their t-shirts come in - that we find today.

    And as far as radio goes, it's totally done as a means of making hits. Heck, even next generation satellite radio is struggling - you're telling me terrestrial radio, which is nothing more than 15 minutes of talk and 20 minutes of commercial per hour is deciding what's popular today? Nuh uh. Try: MySpace, commercials, blogs, television series background music, etc. THAT's where today's hits come from.

    FM radio and MTV lost all significance ages ago. If you're using them to find hits, maybe you should get off your PowerMac 6100 and upgrade your 14,000 baud modem to a DSL connection so you can visit the real world...





    earth day activities for preschool. earth day activities for
  • earth day activities for



  • �algiris
    Mar 31, 02:30 PM
    This is a smart move. It had to happen sooner or later.



    John Gruber would eat Steve Job's ***** if he could. His opinion is extremely biased.

    Doesn't mean he's not right on this one.





    earth day activities for preschool. earth day activities for
  • earth day activities for



  • andiwm2003
    Apr 25, 02:50 PM
    But that's different from APPLE "EXPLOITING" you, isn't it? Perhaps a dictionary reference will help you "understand it"?

    Verb 1. exploit - use or manipulate to one's advantage;
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/exploit

    So, pray tell, what's Apple's advantage over you here?

    Where did I say Apple is exploiting me?:confused:

    Apple did a shoddy programming job by not encrypting the data. Thaty is why Apple is under pressure by the various govenments and rightfully so. Nobody says Apple is using this data in a malicious way. (aside of this lawsuit but that is only here in the USA and stupid and greed driven by lawyers and totally besides the real issue)





    earth day activities for preschool. earth day activities for
  • earth day activities for



  • hyperpasta
    Aug 5, 04:02 PM
    There is no way in the world Apple will be putting iSights in the Cinema Displays.

    Well iSight or no, there needs to be an update anyway. The Mac Pro will have Front Row, and how will you control it by remote if you're meant to keep it under your desk? The new Cinema Displays need an IR "extender".

    Besides, I still think Apple WOULD love to include an iSight in their displays.





    earth day activities for preschool. earth day activities for
  • earth day activities for



  • EricNau
    Aug 17, 09:49 AM
    I have to say, I actually expected the woodcrest results to be better. It really shows that the G5 was years ahead of the competition. :cool:





    earth day activities for preschool. earth day activities for
  • earth day activities for



  • KnightWRX
    Apr 6, 10:52 AM
    The Intel IGP is a serious downgrade. It's too bad Intel kicked nVidia out of the market, they have no talent for graphics. I would not have bought a SB MBA with Intel graphics, quite happy with my C2D+320m one.





    earth day activities for preschool. earth day activities for
  • earth day activities for



  • Dr.Gargoyle
    Sep 13, 11:05 AM
    and this got negative votes because...??????????
    All the people that just coughed up $3k for a quad core MacPro.





    earth day activities for preschool. earth day activities for
  • earth day activities for



  • Yamcha
    Apr 19, 01:58 PM
    Alright, I was originally going to take Apple's side on this, since I could clearly see it looks a lot like iOS, but having looked at Samsung's F700, I don' think Apple has any right to sue..

    Although the Samsung F700 has very simple icons, Apple clearly has the same placement of icons, even looking at the bottom you find the four dock like icons..

    http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9559/samsungf700cellular.jpg

    I'd say that Apple copied Samsung :P.. Honestly I'm not one to take sides just because I like Apple Products, I just think its wrong to sue since Samsung clearly had this type of UI first.. Apple has no right to sue..





    earth day activities for preschool. earth day activities for
  • earth day activities for



  • deannnnn
    Jun 9, 08:44 AM
    I have a feeling that those trade-in prices will be substantially reduced once the iPhone 4 is released.





    earth day activities for preschool. earth day activities for
  • earth day activities for



  • logandzwon
    Apr 6, 02:08 PM
    Nice...I'm glad to have a more rare piece of hardware. I love mine and have no issues, it'll only get better over time.Reminds me of the days of the RAZR, that's what the iPhone and iPad have become.

    Honda sells a TON more cars than BMW by a huge factor...I'd rather drive a BMW, I guess you're all happy with the Hondas :)

    I'd argue it's more like a the difference between a Corvette and Skyline GT-R circa 1996. For 97 Corvette gets an awesome overhaul, building on all the best features and designs from the competition. People start getting excited again, then the details of the R34 GT-R are announced. By 1999 it's back to drawing board for Corvette.





    earth day activities for preschool. earth day activities for
  • earth day activities for



  • yoak
    Apr 12, 07:25 AM
    I'm on a 2006 Mac Pro 2.66GHz.
    I never set up QMaster. It's installed, but I never touched it. Mpeg2 (highest quality double pass) saturates all cores.

    EDIT: sending to compressor from the timeline doesn't change. FCP and compressor together use 350% CPU (400% max).

    Very interesting, could you check your batch monitor to see if it uses every core to compress?.
    I think maybe we are talking past each other and it�s my mistake. For Compressor to use all of the machines CORES you have to do what I described. This speeds up the rendering times as every core work at 80-90%, each core rendering a chunk (1/8) of the file.





    earth day activities for preschool. earth day activities for
  • earth day activities for



  • kentkomine
    Apr 11, 03:42 PM
    Aww, I was really hoping/expecting for a summer release :( But with all the other rumors suggesting that WWDC 2011 will be software-oriented, it makes sense. The iPhone 5 better be AWESOME, or else!!





    earth day activities for preschool. earth day activities for
  • earth day activities for



  • ~Shard~
    Jul 14, 03:05 PM
    Power Supply at the top is REALLY stupid.

    I've never thought much of the relevance of its placement myself - why do you say that? Care to elaborate on why it is "REALLY stupid"?





    earth day activities for preschool. earth day activities for
  • earth day activities for



  • Notaclone
    Apr 27, 09:35 AM
    Am I the only person disappointed to find my iPhone is NOT tracking me? I download the App David Pogue posted on NYT and it didn't work. My iPhone's too old! I wish the damn thing would just die already, but since every Mac I've bought since 1989* still works, what are the odds? Someone steal my iPhone, PLEASE!
    *1985's Mac had a coca-cola spilled in it. That can destroy anything.





    realitymonkey
    Apr 6, 02:38 PM
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Really what sort of clients ?

    Some people do more than use Final Cut for making YouTube videos. FYI. :rolleyes:

    Yup I know especially considering I have nearly 12 years in broadcast TV delivering to every major channel in both the UK and US.





    Cyberskip
    Apr 6, 12:13 AM
    I'm not trolling, this is an honest question. But isn't a Final Cut pretty much worthless for commercial use without a way to put the results on Blu-Ray?
    Here are a few examples.

    http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/in-action/

    Skip





    Northgrove
    Mar 26, 11:21 AM
    Damn, this was confusing. I can barely decide between the 24 versions you mentioned. Add Windows 7 Starter, a version meant only for Notebooks. Still only 4 versions.

    Windows 7 is available in six editions, and three of those (bolded) are available through normal retail channels.

    - Windows 7 Starter
    - Windows 7 Home Basic
    - Windows 7 Home Premium
    - Windows 7 Professional
    - Windows 7 Enterprise
    - Windows 7 Ultimate

    You also need to decide on the architecture before purchase, unlike OS X.

    If you count those (they are packaged in different boxes after all), this brings the number up to 11. Starter doesn't come in a 64-bit edition.

    Finally, this of course doesn't include the server editions of the Windows 7 kernel.





    kuebby
    Apr 27, 01:18 PM
    obamacare in its smallest form is extreme

    stimulus bill is extreme (and extrememly $$)

    The extreme people he hires, etc.

    Don't lose faith in his craziness just because he's postponed driving our country into the ground.

    And it's a good thing he showed his birth certificate. How embarrassing would it be for us to look back, and the man who did all the damage wasn't even born here?

    If you want america to be like europe. Go to europe and pretend you're in america. Don't jack up America for those of us who love it for what it was founded on.

    (insert here where some smart-A responds with "slavery?" or something equally inapplicable)

    I see what you did there... but unfortunately slavery IS [one] of the things this country was founded upon. The 3/5ths compromise is in the Constitution.

    It's not that people want America to be more like Europe (which in some ways would be nice), it's just that we don't want America to be a third world country (like our education statistics already kind of show, as well as the batshit crazy ideas people believe and politicians they elect).





    RichP
    Jul 14, 07:56 PM
    Why is everyone talking about overclocking these machines? To overclock, the MB has to support changing the multipliers (if the chip is unlocked, which they wont be) and/or FSB, along with voltage, etc. I doubt Apple will be providing us with such BIOS/EFI settings.